Ball Anemone or Feather Duster?

Dantitan

Reefing newb
I originally thought that this was a feather duster, but has gotten a lot bigger rather quickly. What do you guys think that it is? These are the best shots that I could get of it for now.

fish tank 018.JPG

fish tank 034.JPG

fish tank 041.JPG

fish tank 043.JPG

That's an aiptasia -- pest anemone. You should kill it ASAP. :(

The best thing I've found is a product called Aiptasia X. It's easy to use and reef safe. And it's EFFECTIVE! Other solutions are to use a salt paste, a kalkwasster paste, inject it with lemon juice or vinegar -- I've tried those too, and those methods didn't work as well.

You can also add some peppermint shrimp and hope that they'll eat it. They usually do.

I would get two or three peppermints. They have about a 50/50 rate of going after apstasia. It just increases your chances. Also, they are nocternal so they hide in the rockwork all day and you barely see them. I think I still have one in my tank somewhere, it got caught in the overflow a few months ago. That is the only time I see it:mrgreen:

My LFS owner let me borrow some stuff in a bottle that kills them. Don't remember the brand name, but he said that it was $40 per bottle, his cost. That stuff zapped the aiptasia and it was gone in about 2 minutes. I was impressed.

My original plan was to get some peppermint shrimp. He didn't have any at the store. When I told him that I had the aiptasia, he was kind enough to offer me the bottle of stuff to use and bring back to him. I am still going to get a couple of peppermint shrimp though, to eat any more that may pop up. Or so I hope.

I got a closer look at mine today, I think it is a feather duster. Its coming out of a hole in a rock and it doesnt have a neck thing:dunno:

Back