Ballast Melt Down

staceyfenea

Reefing newb
The Icecap Ballast that was running my VHO lights melted down tonight. I currently have a combination 2 VHO lights and 2 250w metal halide. I am considering purchasing a new fixture instead of repairing the old fixture and purchasing a new ballast.

Would this light provide enough light to keep anything I might want?48in Metal Halide HQI System Advance Plus

The MH from Aquatraders are good, i have one, only problem is that it heats the water up easy, so a simple fan is needed to blow across the water.
And its fine for your tank, measurements ok as well?? Make sure you check those!! ;)

Larry,

Thanks for your reply. I failed to post this light goes on my 150 gal. Is it still ok?
I would assume your 150g is 6' long...
If so how would you use the 48" fixture? You can mount it in the middle and just keep low light corals on the dark ends. It might look a little odd tho with the center bright and the ends very dim.
If your 150g is 4' long it must be pretty deep. The fixture will still work but keep high light demanding corals near the top.

You may also want to look into getting better bulbs after a while. I don't think those units come with high quality bulbs.

I would assume your 150g is 6' long...
If so how would you use the 48" fixture? You can mount it in the middle and just keep low light corals on the dark ends. It might look a little odd tho with the center bright and the ends very dim.
If your 150g is 4' long it must be pretty deep. The fixture will still work but keep high light demanding corals near the top.

You may also want to look into getting better bulbs after a while. I don't think those units come with high quality bulbs.

Yes the tank is 6'. The tank has a canopy with braces for the light to slide into. The current fixture is only 48". I did find, after I posted this, a 5' Odyssy with the same set up but more wattage that I think will work. Thanks for your quick reply and your help.

Back