Base rock?

Fishboy

Reefing newb
Is this a good deal for base rock?
Is it the right type?
Then as i was reeding down in the description it says:

What about cycle time?
This rock is Pre Cycled!
With the addition of some "Seed rock or Live sand" to start off your beneficial bacteria
Cycle time will be Faster than most live rock you buy.​

There's no such thing as pre-cycled base rock. If base rock is dry, it is by definition, dead. Dry rock does not need to be cycled, because there's nothing on it to die off and cause your water parameters to spike. It says "cycle time will be faster than live rock" -- well, cycle time will be non-existent with base rock!! You need a piece of live rock to cycle it.

But if you post the link, it would help :)

At my work we call base rock the random tidbits we through in the sump for our rock sump...(redundant I know)...this is the rock that just gets a bit of bacteria and pods growing in it without any coraline or the neat stuff that most live rock comes with. I would imagine the cycling time is faster for this type of rock simply because there is less on it to die in the first place. We've never shipped any of this rock, and I doubt that many places provide such rock so I can't be sure on its actual cycle time but I think you are probably talking about what my work calls lace rock (rock taken from a quarry and broken up into cool shapes for building). I know this answer is a bit shaky but without a link I can only guess and +1 biff on the dry rock info.

Based on the ebay pic, it looks like plain old base rock to me. So +1 biff.

True, it won't have parasites or anything, but it won't have anything else either. You're still going to need some regular live rock to seed that stuff, and that seems pretty expensive for base rock to me.

Using mostely dry rock with a little live to seed it is a great way to start a tank, but I wouldn't buy from this guy, that's for sure. Look on liveaquaria or something, not ebay. Ebay's full of con artists.

The "Deco" rock is what I used as base rock. It is Texas Holey rock. It worked great. My fan worms LOVE all the holes in the rock and so do my starfish. :) I think that it will work great being seeded with some live rock.

Back