Bay Area Heat Wave

Thanks Dave. So far I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Frogspawn is my only casualty.

Let's hope you don't loose anything else.

It's quite ironic that this happened to you over the weekend. My brother went away for the weekend as well and left his tank in the care of my mother. She only had to add RO/DI for top off so she didn't do anything. Anyway, he upgraded from a 150W MH to a 250W MH a few days before going away and it cooked the tank. Unlike you, he lost about 50% of his livestock so far. Even 2 fish.

The only lucky thing for him is I can replace almost all of what he lost.

Man that's tough, Wade. Sorry to hear it! What I do is keep a few blocks of ice made from RO in the back of the freezer just for these situations. Since we don't have chillers, we need to get creative with fans and ice hehe...
These late season heat waves can sure suck though, I guess we all can't just get comfortable yet. Luckily my stuff is used to getting spiked up to 88 degrees every so often. 90+ though would definitely kill some corals. I lost my frogspawn to a summer heat wave 2 years ago, pretty much same deal as yours. Weekend camping trip, come home to a 88-90 degree tank and 5 colonies dead. Yuck.

Man that's tough, Wade. Sorry to hear it! What I do is keep a few blocks of ice made from RO in the back of the freezer just for these situations. Since we don't have chillers, we need to get creative with fans and ice hehe...
These late season heat waves can sure suck though, I guess we all can't just get comfortable yet. Luckily my stuff is used to getting spiked up to 88 degrees every so often. 90+ though would definitely kill some corals. I lost my frogspawn to a summer heat wave 2 years ago, pretty much same deal as yours. Weekend camping trip, come home to a 88-90 degree tank and 5 colonies dead. Yuck.

Joe, normally if I know it will be warm/hot I leave the A/C on and everything is fine. Me being a knucklehead this trip didn't check the weather before I left.

At least now I have one hell of an excuse to get the Apex. I'll be able to control everything from my phone when I am away :D

Well, I guess not all is lost. I still have a few live heads of my original Frogspwan. I have at least 5 living heads left, maybe a couple more may survive.

It went from this 67 heads bowling ball shape

IMG_1877.jpg

to this, 5 heads

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

Sorry to hear that man. At least some survived

Controllers are so nice to have, I believe if the temp gets too high then it will even turn off your halides to keep the temp down too. I would love that feature in itself.

have the fans come on at 79 and the MH turn off if it hits 82 or something. They are some heat producing fools.

Then again, thats why i went with T5's :)

Back