Beams Work LED lighting

bwilhite

Reefing newb
I got the Beams Work light when I bought the tank but I'm not sure if I should keep it. I have live rock and would like to see it thrive. The light has about 33 lights and is 10" long and 5" wide. It has on the plug DC 12V 500mA but I dont have a clue what the watt is. I would like to eventually get a bubble anemone for my clown fish. MY LFS sold me a Condy with it and I researched and found that was not right, and it just died this morning. I also have a flame, a mandarin, and 3 damsels. Any info on this light would be helpful

I dont think its the light...Your tank is a month old? That is way to new for a expert only anemone. System should be running at least a year...Nems are delicate and need stable tanks.

Almost all anemones are considered "expert only" including bubble tips. Why don't you try out some corals first? There are lots of awesome looking corals that are very easy to keep and very forgiving in new tanks with fluctuating water parameters.

I don't think that light would be enough for even the lowest light demanding corals. If the power supply is 12v 500mA, the max wattage that it could consume is 12vx.5 which is a total of 6 watts. From that, I would have to assume that the LEDs in the fixture are nothing more than the 5 cent ones you can find off the shelf at any electronic retail store.

Also, you have a lot of fish in there for a tank that has only been up for a month or so. Slow down a bit. Give your system a bit of time to mature between adding fish. Trust me, it will save headaches down the road. The only thing that happens fast in this hobby is a disaster.

Also, could you give us more detail about your tank. It would help us greatly in helping you with any issues you might have.

Welcome to the forum and here's to an exciting tank:Cheers:

I think I'm going to be sick to my stomach! My condy moved from the top of the rock to his foot on the "over the back of the tank" filter. This morning it's tenacles were all shriveled up and I thought he was dead and i didnt want it to crash my tank so I took it out. My LFS said he had probably just eaten and does that. I'm so stupid, I should never have gotten into this before doing more research. I never had any problems with my fresh water tanks. just shoot me know, I deserve it!

Hey, Its how you learn. In this hobby there will be alot of mistakes made, and you'll most def. pay the price for those mistakes more than once. But we learn from them, you just have to keep pushing through keep learning, and gaining knowledge. Nothing happens fast in this hobby. If you keep learning from others who know more, soon enough you'll have a beautiful reef, something YOU created and worked hard for. This hobby can be very rewarding. Dont get discouraged. :)

If I were you, I would start out with a FOWLR tank.. fish only with live rock.. Learn your tanks personality, learn to keep your water parameters stable and build a routine for maintence etc. Keep things simple.. After a few months I would then purchase a better light.. A 4 bulb T5 would be great for LPS corals. I would then get a few beginner LPS corals (if your thinking about eventually doing a reef) and slowly build off of that. Nem's are def. an expert invert and require a stable enviornment to thrive. Start small work your way up and if you have ANY questions myself and others here are MORE than happy to help! Thats what its all about.

+1 Emily

If there are awards for mistakes .. I think I win.. and on the long haul.. I do win...

we learn well from our mistakes.. and sharing them on here is great team spirit... it lets others know they aren't the only ones that make mistakes.. and it lets those who are to shy too post much learn from your mistakes too.

so post away.. without fear... I do.. LOL

You guys are great! I really appreciate the encouragement. I will, going forward take it slow and easy and read read read before I add anything else. I now just have a fowlr but will EVENTUALLY and SLOWLY go to a reef tank. Any books you can recommend to help with a newbie?

Conscientious marine Aquarius by Robbert Fenner
The nano reef handbook by CR Brightwell
Super simple guide to corals by James W. Fatherre
Saltwater Aquariums for dummies by Gregory Skomal

Those are four books on my shelf next to the computer. However the computer has given me much more. When you do start corals think Mushrooms....Simple and dont need perfect water, lots of different types and colors as well.

Back