Begining reefing

lightcs4

Loving to learn
I have read article after article on reef tanks, but still have some questions. I successfully kept a 10 gal tank for a couple of years without any problems. I have been itching to get a larger tank and finally purchased a 46 gal bow-front tank. I have about 50 lbs of rock (mix of well established live rock and "dry rock" from Marco Rocks, of which I have been rather impressed). I added the dry rock slowly to keep levels low (I currently have ammonia and nitrites at 0, nitrates at .5). I have a ruby headed wrasse (my favorite), a false perc (clown), a Singapore angel, two fire shrimp, a few hermits and a few snails. I do *not* have a protein skimmer, proper lights, or fuge (hopeful future additions). I am also running a canister filter with media, although I am considering removing the media and going with just carbon and macro filtering.

OK, finally to my question ...

1. Should I leave the media in the canister filter or remove it and add live rock down the road (or not). I would like to remove it and just use carbon every few months (I've read it isn't necessary to use it all the time).

2. I will not add corals until I get a proper lighting system. Is a T5HO lighting system good for a 46 gal system for most corals? I really want a closed brain I saw at the LFS (neon green favia and looked great).

3. How important is a protein skimmer for coral? Yes, I know I am probably showing my newness to this hobby, but I would rather ask now than introduce coral and not treat them right. I would rather wait a few months (or several since the kids always need something) that hurt the coral and fish.

Thanks for any help.

1. Should I leave the media in the canister filter or remove it and add live rock down the road (or not). I would like to remove it and just use carbon every few months (I've read it isn't necessary to use it all the time). I would not use a canister filter at all. All you need is Live Rock & a protein skimmer. If you must, then make sure to change the carbon every 2-3 weeks or it will have no purpose.

2. I will not add corals until I get a proper lighting system. Is a T5HO lighting system good for a 46 gal system for most corals? I really want a closed brain I saw at the LFS (neon green favia and looked great). - Yes, T5 is your best choice these days.

3. How important is a protein skimmer for coral? Yes, I know I am probably showing my newness to this hobby, but I would rather ask now than introduce coral and not treat them right. I would rather wait a few months (or several since the kids always need something) that hurt the coral and fish. - A protein is important for the overall quality of the water which is very important for corals & inverts. A skimmer removes toxins from your tank and puts it in a separate cup,so there is no way of it ever going back in your tank unlike a canister filter. If you can afford it, i highly recommend a skimmer over a canister filter. You're ok with a canister as long as you change the media on a consistent basis (2-3 weeks)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
1)You have the right idea.Use the canister on a part time basis to polish the water.One week a month is all you need to run carbon and filter floss.You can use it to run phosphate removal media later down the road as well,if needed.

2)A T5-HO fixture is what I would recommend for that size system.Look for at least a 4 bulb fixture preferably with individual reflectors to be unlimited.

3)You can have a successful reef with or without a skimmer.You will have to be diligent with water changes.Still,I highly recommend a skimmer especially if you're planning on corals which are much more sensitive to water quality than fish.

OK, the T5HOs are a definite. I’ll wait until I can afford a four bulb setup as Reef recommended. It amazes me how much lighting can cost. I’ll also wait to add any corals until I can get a protein skimmer. The ones at the LFS has them built into the HOB refugiums, although I will probably try to find one on-line to get better pricing.

I’ll probably continue to use the canister, but was thinking of taking out the ceramic media (Biomax). The nitrates continue to remain low (I test the water each weekend), but I want to prevent potential problems in the future. It is also the only method I currently have for water flow. I’m looking into powerheads to add current but I still need to do some research in this area (I didn’t realize how much can be involved in a “simple” saltwater tank). Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

With the bioload already in your system it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and leave the ceramic media in for added bio-filtration.....Or better yet increase your live rock amount another 15-30lbs and remove the ceramic media altogether.Yeah,you will need additon flow than what the canister provide.Two Koralia model two's or two Maxijet-900 will give you good flow.

I agree with what's been said already. You should add a pair of powerheads ASAP though, your current inhabitants will be much happier with more flow.

Sounds like my best plan on action would be to focus on the powerheads. I'll read up on how to use them as well. I didn't even know they were used for anything but under-sand-filters until recently. :shock:

I'll then look at a skimmer/fuge combo, then lights. I'll add more live rock as I can, but at over $8 a lb, I'll have to do it a few pounds at a time. I cured dry rock, using existing well established live rock from the previous 10 gal tank (running over two years), which saved a lot on the expense.

Thanks everyone.

Reef,

Quick question regarding the powerheads. I like the Maxijet 900 (and the price is right ... obviously being budgeting is a priority in my family). It looks like I could use it for moving water from a sump/fuge as well as increasing water flow (please correct me if I am wrong). I am really unclear about the function of the powerheads, besides water flow.

However, regardless of which vendor I use, would I put one on each side of the tank, one and the back and one on the front? Also, do you think these would be good if I were to upgrade to a larger tank in the future? Yeah, I got the bug and could easily see a large system down the road... and it all started with doing this for the kids. :D

Also, can I use the canister down the road as a regium by replacing the carbon and ceramic with live sand once I add more live rock to the main tank? I like the idea of using the canister as a macro-filter. I would still use a HOB regium as well.

Again, I really appreciate the help you and others here have been in helping me get this right.

With the bioload already in your system it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and leave the ceramic media in for added bio-filtration.....Or better yet increase your live rock amount another 15-30lbs and remove the ceramic media altogether.Yeah,you will need additon flow than what the canister provide.Two Koralia model two's or two Maxijet-900 will give you good flow.

You can use a powerhead to feed water to a HOB refugium and protein skimmers.Powerheads in general are not strong enough to use to pump water from a sump/refugium thats under the stand.Placement is up to you for the most part.You're want good random flow like the ocean and them close enough to the surface to ripple(not bubble) the surface.Most people have them on the side facing one another or on the back glass facing toward the center of the front glass.Sure,you can use use the powerheads on a larger system down the road.Although you may have to buy an additonal one or two because obviously it's a larger system.I used two Koralia 3 on my 75 gallon and when I upgraded to a 210 I added those two K3 and added two more.Consider powerheads as added flow and added oxygen like waves over a reef in the ocean.

You can't convert a canister into a refugium.Live rock rubble is the only thing that can be put inside it.Macro-algae will need light so it won't work.If you put sand inside it then all it will be is a bio-filter(provided it doesn't get lose and burn up the motor).I would skip that idea altogether.

Maxi-Jets are great and inexpensive.However,look at the Koralia circulation pumps.They are a little more but works much better.Unlike powerheads that shoot out a narrow stream the Koralias have a wide gentle yet still a strong flow.Also the magnet mounts will save you from picking up the powerhead off the sand.It's not a question of if but when the suction cups will fail.Two Koralia two's will work well for a 46g system.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15955

Last edited:
I'll need to do some serious research on powerheads. Sounds like the Koralia pumps may be a good choice. I'll also check out the Rio pumps as well.

Thanks for the links on the live rock. That's a big difference in price.

There is no such thing as a good power head. Better power heads but no good ones. They are ugly, space robbing heat producers. One of these days tank manufacturers might actually start producing predrilled tanks with enough holes and with big enough holes that power heads will no longer clutter up so many reef tanks. And please god have them discontinue overflow towers in alleged "reef ready" tanks. What unnecessary wasters of precious tank space.

There is no such thing as a good power head. Better power heads but no good ones. They are ugly, space robbing heat producers. One of these days tank manufacturers might actually start producing predrilled tanks with enough holes and with big enough holes that power heads will no longer clutter up so many reef tanks. And please god have them discontinue overflow towers in alleged "reef ready" tanks. What unnecessary wasters of precious tank space.

Fatman is 100% correct (as usual). I picked up a Koralia #2 power head. I'll pickup a second one in the next several weeks. It doesn't look too big until you see it in the tank. :shock: Oh well ...

Check out Ebay for the Koralia units. I picked up two #3s for $28.00 ea. plus very fair shipping off a guy in Calif.

I picked up this one for $25 and change off E-bay. It was the cheapest price I could find, but with shipping and tax (charged when I checked out of E-bay), it came to about $33. It's still cheaper than the LFS, where they charge $43, so I'm happy. I'll pick another one up in a month or so to spread the expense out a bit.

This was actually the first E-bay purchase I have ever made. I work in IT, so I may be more paranoid than most. I have family that swears by E-bay. I would love to hear about anyone who has found T5HO or VHO lights from E-bay. My accountant (wife) has asked me to wait until the Fall to order the lights so it will be a while. I'm thinking E-bay may be a good place to find them (I really want the Nova Pros as they have individual reflectors).

Back