Beginner Coral Suggestions Needed

jmadden93

Reefing newb
I have had my 125gal FO saltwater tank up for 2 yrs now and would like to start getting into the basic corals. Nothing exotic or hard to care for. I have 2 12k bright white bulbs, and 2 blue atinics (all compact florestcent). What are some good beginer corals/anemonies that you'd suggest with this lighting setup? I only have 1 Foxface, 1 clown, and 1 small wrasse at this point but would like to maybe get some Angels/Butterflys in the future so something they won't eat would be a perk.

What type of lighting setup do you suggest? Anything relatively affordable for a beginner or something I can find for cheap on Craigslist?

Pyramid butterflies are reef safe and do well in groups. Most angels are 50/50 when it comes to picking at coral but, usually the easier soft corals are the first ones they go after.

MH lighting can be costly to operate on the light bill, T-5 are expensive, but a little more effecient.

I would suggest ricordias and mushrooms they come in all colors are very beautiful and dont require much light at all. I dont know about your fish though they sometimes are known to eat corals.

I personally would try looking on craigslist or something and get a couple of tester ones for 5-10 bucks to see if the fish try to eat it before spending a lot of money.

I think a good anemone to start with is a condylactis they are pretty cheap dont require really high light and are really pretty.

Last edited:
I would go with some inexpensive zoos and a leather and place them mid level, and see how they do. THose corals can take a beating and live. I've found zoos behind rock after months and they open and live, so I dont think you could go wrong with those, myself.

And I would look into a nice TEK T-5 light from Sunlight Supply, excellent light.

You and that damn xenia I am still trying to get rid of it :frustrat: crab grass of the sea :grumble:

Now there's an example of a tough coral!!! THis guy took it out of his tank on the rock and scaped it with a scaper and still it thrives!

Get some xenia, you'll be cussing me out in 6 months on how it took over the tank.

I think Toolhead can send you some free....

Metal Halides are the way to go. LEDs are great but more pricey. The MH will generate heat and you may have to deal with that using fans or A/C.

Last edited:
Back