Beginner Questions For 29 Gallon Reef

khaotik

Reefing newb
Well I am taking the plunge and hopefully setting up my tank by next week. I have a 29 Gallon glass. I know, I know. The bigger the better for starters. Well my family has always had salt tanks and I read a lot so I think it will be no problem. A question I do have is what kind of T5 lights will I need for that small of a tank. I hear 4 watts for every gallon? I am looking at the Aquaticlife 4 bulb HO T5. Is this too much heat for this little of a tank? I want to grow every kind of coral their is! I found a good deal on a 2 x bulb same brand light but didn't know if it would suffice.

A 29g tank is pretty tall, so if you want to be able to keep any type of coral I would look at a 6 bulb T5HO fixture.

I am kind of lucky being able to pick some of my equipment. I work for an online liquidator in Cincinnati, and currently we liquidate for the Worl'ds Largest Retailer (Walmart). We have several of their 15 tank displays you would find in their stores. I have gotten a RODI unit off one of them!

I have quite a few metal halides lights here at the warehouse and was prolly going to look into setting one of them up.

a mh unit will work fine as long as you get a good bulb made for aquariums not the ones you can buy for 15 buck as a hardware store

I will be getting pictures hopefully soon. I have just found this site over the weekend. I love it. You guys rock. Much better than going into my local fish store. We really don't have anything around here. I went into a Jack's Aquarium and asked a question about fragging and they looked at me like they were completely clueless. The guy doidn't even know what eggcrate was!

I have a viper 150 watt clip on metal halide light on my 29gal, and I'm able to keep anything I want. It's hard finding good lighting for a 29gal tank...trust me, I did research for months before getting the viper.

I have a viper 150 watt clip on metal halide light on my 29gal, and I'm able to keep anything I want. It's hard finding good lighting for a 29gal tank...trust me, I did research for months before getting the viper.

where did you get your light? im in need of a new light for my 29 gal aswell.

Well I am taking the plunge and hopefully setting up my tank by next week. I have a 29 Gallon glass. I know, I know. The bigger the better for starters. Well my family has always had salt tanks and I read a lot so I think it will be no problem. A question I do have is what kind of T5 lights will I need for that small of a tank. I hear 4 watts for every gallon? I am looking at the Aquaticlife 4 bulb HO T5. Is this too much heat for this little of a tank? I want to grow every kind of coral their is! I found a good deal on a 2 x bulb same brand light but didn't know if it would suffice.

No one ask so I will.How deep is this 29 gallon tank?The Aquatic Life does have individual reflectors,I think.If so and you replace the bulbs with better bulbs and if the tank isn't deeper then 20 or so inches.That should be plenty of light for anything.

Back