Beginners fish & coral??

Tifoez

Reefing newb
This is my first marine aquarium, and I know I want a pair of Clown fish, but I'd like some advice on hardy communal tankmates and what coral would be good for a beginner such as myself.. I'm working with an 85 gallon display, with a 20 gallon sump, and 10 gallon refugium.. I will also have a 20 gallon quarantine tank..

Good beginner corals are the softies (so like... green star polyps, zoas, leathers, ricordias, mushrooms) and LPS (the easier ones are the euphyllias (frownspawns, torches)).

What are you looking for fish-wise? Wrasses are cool, but you have to be careful of what is reef-safe and what isn't. Dwarf angels are good, but you always have to take the chance that they'll eat corals. No reef tank is complete without a bottom feeder (like a goby of some kind).... but it's kind of up to what you like and what you want out of your tank.

Keep in mind that you'll have to stock very slowly, and there are no concrete "fish per gallon" rules in saltwater, but we tend to stick to "one small fish per ten gallons".

Take a look at liveaquaria (they have very good information) and make a wish list. We can help you narrow it down from there. :)

Awesome, thank you for your insight, so far I've written two threads and you've answered on both.. I'm encouraged by the amount of support, and available information!! I will definitely look into all of your suggested fishies, and absolutely, a goby would make an excellent helping hand for the live sand..

Regarding the gobies, I recommend a hi-fin red banded goby (Stonogobiops Nematodes). They are great, peaceful fish that are brilliant for reef setups.

Im still new to the fish game but Im now two tanks in...both I started with Damsels after the cycle and moved to clowns....in one tank I added a goby and the other a fox...all are doing well...plenty of shrimp, crabs and snails too...

For sandsifters, if that is what you are looking for, stay away from the yellow line (headed) goby. It tends to coat your rock work and corals with the sand because they swim a distance off the ground. The Tiger goby stays right on the substrate.

Most LPS corals are good beginner corals, bubbles, open brains and Lord Howe Acans rank up there in my book. Please, please avoid the temptation of Elegance corals, ESPECIALLY Indo Elegance corals.

As for fish, clowns, gobies and blennies are all good beginner fish. If you buy an algae eating blenny make sure it has a good enough food source to sustain it. All too often as a system matures and the algae becomes less abundant they starve to death.

Don't worry, I'm one of those very few who take A LOT of time on a "hobby" (although my family knows this is going to be morethan just a hobby)..

I bought my biggest tank yet @ 90 gal short for the display, and I found a 40 gal tall to use as a sunp..

After 6 months I am still dry fitting!!

I know I'd like a goby & shrimp, and a clown.. and as for coral I am looking at anemones for the clown, & zoas.. that's all I know for now.. lmao.. I know that's NOTHING in comparison to what I've seen so far..

But I do want to express my sincere gratitude to you ALL for your advice and shared knowledge!!

I definitly will do.. um.. what is a GBTA? I'm about to look it up, but I am guessing it is an abbreviation for something

Oh!! *shakes head* imma idiot.. thank you reeferRob for the offer & ill keep you in mind, and thank you mario for the "duh" moment ;)

I've had as many as 11 GBTAs in a 130d, now we're at 5 and there will be 7 before the week's out, lol. If you kill one of these Fijian anemones, reef keeping probably isn't for you. I've had them get chopped by a powerhead and live and get cut in half by the overflow and live. I'm scared to feed the damn things for fear of a population explosion.

Well, my wifes 50 gal corner just killed off all of her goldfish, so now she wants it turned into a "nano" reef & fishes..
I've seen a 2ltr turned into a protien skimmer, and some of the other important functions duplicated with household items, so ill be running hers through its cycle soon, I still need to finish my stand and get a few items, not to mention the reseal..

Have you ran any copper meds in the freshwater tank? If so make sure you cut out ALL the old seals silicone can absorb copper into it

Back