benafits of...

godeeporgohome123

Reefing newb
i dont understand the diffrence between a over flow box and just syphioning water out of my tank... right now if my pump were to fail i wouldnt loose any water my sump can take it all the water down to the anti syphion hole then the syphion cuts out but cant restart on its own... wouldnt a over flow do the same thing since it also uses a syphion?!

Yes it would do that same thing but the thing that an overflow box does is it skims the surface and over a larger area than the small hole of a siphon tube. that way it can catch the bits of detritus in the water column and then suck them through the siphon tube. so the benefit is MUCH better filtration.

or is it that the water syphion remains ready because there is still water on the inside and out side overflow box keeping the syphion at a stand by... power comes back and pump restarts along with syphion?

no mine never started over again when the power cut when i had a hob overflow. the water will not stay ready because the siphon tube will drain all it can until gravity can not pull anymore from the overfow and it drops below the teeth

Last edited:
so then really they arnt much diffrent its just that the overflow pulls in more surface water which i agree is better ... i think im going to buy a ups for it ...

+1 Yote
A properly setup overflow box should never lose siphon when power is cut to the pump. If it does, it's setup wrong and you are looking for problems. If the power goes out and your not home, when it comes back on it will turn the pump on and drain the sump and overflow the tank.

Back