berlin skimmer question

ronboy

Reefing newb
hi everyone,i just got a berlin triple pass ho w/mag7.i had a seaclone that produced more than the berlin.am i not using a bigenough pump?it produces about a teaspoon a day.any help will be appreciated....and also one more thing,i am moving my tank and i want more ghp return from the sump,currently have a mag 9. 2"overflow,dual 1" return's,how much bigger can i go????

How long have you been running the new skimmer? It can take several weeks for a new skimmer to start working.

Also, you can't really increase the flow from the sump because it can only go as fast as your bulkheads will allow it to, and 1" bulkheads will only allow around 300 gph to pass through them. So unless you drill larger holes, you are stuck with 600 gph flow through the sump. Getting a more powerful pump won't help, as that will just cause the display tank to overflow because the same amount of water will still be allowed to pass through the bulkheads.

How long have you been running the new skimmer? It can take several weeks for a new skimmer to start working.

Also, you can't really increase the flow from the sump because it can only go as fast as your bulkheads will allow it to, and 1" bulkheads will only allow around 300 gph to pass through them. So unless you drill larger holes, you are stuck with 600 gph flow through the sump. Getting a more powerful pump won't help, as that will just cause the display tank to overflow because the same amount of water will still be allowed to pass through the bulkheads.

ok, so it "should" produce much more skimmate after a few week's? i didnt do a lot of research on this skimmer before i bought it,but it seem's like they have a low rating for performance.have you ever had a berlin? thanks for your reply to my last question!!

I couldn't imagine anything running worst than a Seaclone.My guess,is you have the berlin setup for a dry skimmate.Is there a way to raise and lower the water in the skimmer chamber?If so,raise the water slightly until you are getting a wetter skimmate.

If you are correct....two 2'' drain/two 1'' returns than you should be able to go up to a mag12,maybe 18.

no there is no way to raise or lower water level!? i wish there were.onll adjustment is the venturi.i hate being lead on,the store i got it from said it was one of the top of the line skimmers.i guess for the price i had to belive him.i think i will stick with my mag 9 for now,i need to do something about this skimmer....thank's for the info.

Back