Best light for SPS

irensing

Controversial Reefer
I need a new bulb for my 250W HQI. What is the best color temperature for SPS? I've been running a Hamilton 14000K with actinics.

One of the best output bulbs you'll find for 250w is the XM 10K, the only problem for me is the lack of blue to it. (It can definitely be supplemented with your actinics though)

Do guys know how they compare to reeflux? I didn't realize how much of a difference the ballast can make on the color temperature. Many people say the Pheonix is too blue (around 20000K) and after they changed their ballasts they get the perfect color. I'm thinking I want to stay close to 14000K. Is it standard practice to raise the light fixture up when putting in new bulbs to prevent shock to the corals?

I'm don't know how they compare to the reeflux.

Not only does the color change with different ballasts but, the PAR or light output will change as well. You can either raise the fixture or shorten your photo period to acclimate your corals. I can't raise my fixture up, so I'll usually cut the photo period in half and then over 3-4 weeks slowly lengthen it till it's back to normal again.

Thanks for the info. I may try to get my hands on a par meter, especially since I might be setting up a tank with an AI nano. I'm very curious. My ballast is way over kill for my tank. I feel like as my bulb has gotten older I'm starting to get better polyp extension on my acros, my leathers and some of my LPS.

Another great bulb besides the XM mentioned above (and if you can add some ATI Blue Plus T5 bulbs) is the Geissman Megachrome Coral. It's a white bulb with tons of par. My tank is loving it. But visually, you'll need some blue to supplement. I run the one 250w MH with three of the ATI Blue+ and one ATI Purple.

How do the Marineland Reefreadys stack up? That's what I'm running, and I would eventually like to have SPS and LPS. They say they are a great alternative, consuming less power, putting out almost no heat, and still providing the full spectrum necessary for all the different coral types. Are they being honest, or are they just blowing a lot of smoke?

How do the Marineland Reefreadys stack up? That's what I'm running, and I would eventually like to have SPS and LPS. They say they are a great alternative, consuming less power, putting out almost no heat, and still providing the full spectrum necessary for all the different coral types. Are they being honest, or are they just blowing a lot of smoke?

For very shallow / touch tanks I think they'd be okay - but they are running only a few 1 watt LED's without optics. I wouldn't use them in any deeper tanks. You're better off looking at Ecoxotic, AquaIllumination, or Ecoray

For the price IMO its crazy what they are asking for those things. Like Matt said, for a small shallower tank its ok...anything over 30g i thinks its better for you to go with a better unit. AI..ect... ive been debating on tryin a DIY LED for the past month....theres so many threads out there that are step by step process:mrgreen:

I just got a 27 gallon cube that I am running one of the Marineland Reef Capable fixtures on. Not to mention I just threw in a shrimp to start my cycle so I can't speak for how they work personally. But my LFS has one over his 55 gallon display in the store, and everything in there seems happy. They put out decent par as far as I am concerned. It's about 130 at 12 inches deep and right under the center of the light. But the absolute lowest par value I will have in that tank with it being I believe 18 inches tall will be about 12 in the very bottom along the front and back edges.
So IMO I think it is capable of keeping SPS, but it all depends on what you want to do. Like I said, my LFS has success with the one over is 55 reef display in the store.

They put out decent par as far as I am concerned. It's about 130 at 12 inches deep and right under the center of the light. But the absolute lowest par value I will have in that tank with it being I believe 18 inches tall will be about 12 in the very bottom along the front and back edges.

Excellent. My set-up is a 50 gallon long, so 18" deep, and then subtract a 2 inch sandbed. So only about 16" of vertical space between top and bottom. I made sure to get the 48" light that expands to 60" to maximize available LEDs for the length of the tank (48"). They have a smaller fixture that is 36" expandable to 48", but I just shelled out the extra $ for the extra lights.

And I wouldn't be putting the SPS directly on the sandbed, so at the farthest point they would probably be about 12-14" away. I hope this light works, as I got a fairly good deal on it, and some of the other fixtures I've seen are soooo stinkin' expensive! :shock:

Back