Big sad day :(

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
We lost our orange spotted goby in our 10 gallon :( Last time I checked the water a couple of days ago, ammonia and nitrites were 0pm, nitrates were at 5 ppm.

The only things I can think of was when I added a couple of hermits crabs into the tank, when I was done acclimating them, I had to replenish the water. I used regular unsalted rodi because the salinity was high anyway (1.026) so I wanted to lower it anyway while I was replenishing. It went down to 1.023, which I think in turn shocked the goby.

Then with the warm weather, I noticed this morning the temp was at 83F. I guess it got too hot. It's been so cold that I raised my tanks heaters to compensate (my temp in the tanks were in the 73-75 range prior). So to make it warmer, I raised it on the 45 and 10. I guess because the 10 gallon was so small, after weeks of 30F weather, it couldn't handle the sudden 60 F degree weather. I should've adjusted!

I also added a hob skimmer. I rinsed and ran it in regular water to make sure to get rid of any dirt before setting it up in the tank. But I wonder if maybe I didn't run it clean enough.

I'm doing a massive 40% change right now, and put some prime to help with the ammonia. My pistol shrimp survived, the mushroom *looks* ok, as well as the snails (so far) No sign of the 2 hermit crabs I added. Don't know if they survived. So bummed. I had to calm my daughter down because she was the one who found him dead, and she didn't know what he was doing (she came up giggling because the fish was bobbing around the bottom). She didn't know it was dead. So I've had to put aside my own bummed feelings to just tell her it's part of the hobby -- dying fish, trial and error. Dunno if she buys it. Hehe.

*sigh* It's always should'a would'a could'a on hindsight, eh?

Last edited:
I don't think the 83 temp would have killed your goby. How fast did it come up from 75? 75 is too cold IMO. My tank gets up to 84 or 85 all summer long without any fish or coral deaths. The trick is stability I guess...
Is your ammonia really that high? 40% is a kinda big water change all at once. Sorry to hear about your fish though.

Well, when I said that prior to me adjusting the heater the temp was 73-74, I meant that it got that low when it got super cold outside and the heater couldn't keep up, hence why I turned up all the heaters for both tanks at the start of the cold spell. I normally keep it around 80F. So basically, outside, the start of the week we had temps of around 20-30F outside...then all of a sudden, on thursday (up until today), the temp outside went up to 60F, which warmed the basement significantly. I adjusted the heaters to compensate again, but I guess since the temp outside go so warm so fast, the heater couldn't keep up with the fluctuations. Making the tank's temp unstable.

Luckily my 45 g kept up with the fluctuations pretty well. I normally do well with nanos (freshwater). I just didn't count on major outside temp changes to quickly affect the 10 g.

As for my ammonia levels, I couldn't find my card, but I know the green in the test tube was bad enough. The only livestock I have in the tank is a pistol shrimp (which was symbiotic with the goby), 3 snails, 2 hermits, and a mushroom (which came with the lr I purchased, so couldn't take him off, obviously).

Sorry to hear about your loss. I actually get really sad when i loose a fish. I dont loose that much anymore but when i started this hobby i losed a few. It really sucks!!

Wonton,

Sorry to hear the bad news.
It doesn't sound like anything you really did would kill a fish.

FYI....those gobies are tough. I lost one too. You have to keep an eye on their food intake. I thought mine was fine, but it turned out he wasn't eating good at all. Many of the "sand sifting" gobies get their food from the sand they sift and our tanks don't have enough to maintain them. When I saw the dead fish, it's stomach was very thin.

Good Luck.

Thanks everyone.

I think he was eating ok. When I put food in the tank, since he's the only fish in there, I watch him eating heartily. I really have no clue why he died. He just seemed very healthy.

I'm going to watch the parameters to make sure everything goes back down, but once everything is back to zero, how long before I can get another fish in there? I was thinking of another goby. I hope the shrimp will take to the new one. He was already paired up really well with the other goby.

sometimes we lose fish without explanation. I lost 2 tangs before my third within 2 weeks. and the thirds i had for over a year until i gave him back to the LFS.

Fish actually go through some pretty drastic changes in temp and salinity from the time their caught untill they end up in our tanks.The ones that survive untill we get them are fairly tough little guys.
I doubt the change in salinity or the temp killed your fish.Its just something that happens a lot.
Hate to hear of it though.

Well, when I said that prior to me adjusting the heater the temp was 73-74, I meant that it got that low when it got super cold outside and the heater couldn't keep up, hence why I turned up all the heaters for both tanks at the start of the cold spell. I normally keep it around 80F. So basically, outside, the start of the week we had temps of around 20-30F outside...then all of a sudden, on thursday (up until today), the temp outside went up to 60F, which warmed the basement significantly. I adjusted the heaters to compensate again, but I guess since the temp outside go so warm so fast, the heater couldn't keep up with the fluctuations. Making the tank's temp unstable.

This sounds like a good reason to invest in a temperature controller. Keeps the temp within a degree or so. I love mine! Ebay has cheap ones for $30 or so that do the trick for systems without a chiller.

This sounds like a good reason to invest in a temperature controller. Keeps the temp within a degree or so. I love mine! Ebay has cheap ones for $30 or so that do the trick for systems without a chiller.

Can you post a link to what you bought?

Wonton, I have the same temp issues all the time and it concerns me too. Sorry for your loss.

So basically, you plug the heater(s) into it, and when the temp shoots below a certain temperature, the power kicks on?

*sigh* My ammonia is still around .25 ever after a water change. I put some Prime in it, too. So I don't know if I'm getting a false reading. I haven't seen the shrimp, even though I lifted all the rocks. Normally I see it scampering off to another rock.

Back