BigFishy's 70g

BigFishy

Reefing newb
I recently upgraded my 20 gallon tank to a 70 gallon tank. Luckily, I was able to use most of the equipment from my 20 gallon to be my sump for my 70 gallon.

As of now this is the setup from top to bottom ...

Odyssey light fixture
- 2x 36" SPS bulbs
- 1x Metal Halide with Luminex Ballast
- 4 LED's for moonlight effect

Tank (Oceanic Built)
-70 gallon tank with 1/2" glass
-Front glass is starphire glass
-Custom built single overflow
-Two Koralia Powerheads - 1050 and 425

3 Stage Sump (Old 20 gallon tank converted into sump)
-SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer (Worst thing ever created - I ordered a Reef Octopus)
-200 Watt In-Pipe Heater
-Mag pump model 7
-18" Coralife Light - 36 Watt for the Cheato

Attachments

• BigFishy70g.jpg
    BigFishy70g.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 265
  • BigFishy70g Sump.jpg
    BigFishy70g Sump.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Side of Boxfish.jpg
    Side of Boxfish.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 273
  • Spotted BoxFish.jpg
    Spotted BoxFish.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 316
I've got 20-ish pounds of small pieces curing right now and I'm suppose to pick up another 40 lbs this weekend. I've got about 30 in now plus the added 20 and 40 = 90 lbs in a couple weeks. That'll fill up the tank pretty fast.

I was thinking of adding a Blonde Naso Tang, but not sure if he'll fit in. They need a lot of space and my Boxfish is already producing a TON of bioload. So, I might just wait on add any other fish.

What do you recommend?

I’m debating of getting a RO/DI unit (currently running tap with Carbon and Phosphate/Silicate remover) or getting a Protein Skimmer that actually works (I have a SeaClone which works 1 day out of 10 if I’m lucky).

I figured if I get a RO/DI system I would be changing somewhere around 5% water changes every other day until I feel that I have eliminated all the tap water. Yes, the process will take a long time, but wont the water changes clean the water making it possible to postpone getting a protein skimmer that works?

A couple of coral pics

The first candy cane pic is when I picked him out Jan 16 and the second is Jan 27. I think he's growing pretty well. I never see his tentacles thought. Wish I did so I could feed him.

The ricordea is growing slowly, but growing.

Attachments

• Candy Cane 1.16.2011.JPG
    Candy Cane 1.16.2011.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Candy Cane 1.27.2011.JPG
    Candy Cane 1.27.2011.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Ricordia 1.27.2010.jpg
    Ricordia 1.27.2010.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 192
I love both of the corals. I like the ricodera the best because i'm facinated by their bubbly texture. I think i'm going to make a zoa/shroom garden when I make a tank one day =)

I'm 99% sure the candy cane has bubble algae on the bottom (at the base). Very small amount but it's there. Any suggestions on removing it?

Take it out and use a tooth brush? Just be careful doing it. IDK

Can I just put the base under sand and that way the bubble algae wont get any light.

I would love a emerald crab, but I'm to afraid it'll eat a fish and other critters in the tank since every living thing in my tank hides in tight places between rocks.

Back