bio-balls

ksbiker1100

algae harvester
i have seen in several places that bio balls are not the best choice of media type to be using. i currently have a canister filter and will be a few months before i can get a different filter setup. what can i use in its place? as far as a new filter setup what would you suggest i use. i have a 55 gallon with mostly fish and a few inverts.

The canister filter can be used and, effective but, you have to make sure to clean it OFTEN. If not, it can make your nitrates skyrocket.

Bioballs just require extra attention. There are some here who've had success with them, but they have to keep up with its maintenance otherwise you end up with nitrate problems.

so far i have switched them out and cleaned them once a week and water levels have all stayed were they need to be don't mind the work just was wondering if there is anything better to use

A protein skimmer would be better than bioballs. Almost zero maintenance and no risk of spiking your nitrates like with bioballs.

Alot of people have different opinions on sterilizers. Some people say that they are ineffective because they do not sterilize all of your water therefore leaving pathogens and other things still in your water. And also, the sterilizer will kill good things as well that you may not want to. In the end it is more of a personal choice but, it's not necessary and plenty of people have successful tanks without them.

I think the UV sterilizers are good if you have fish that are prone to disease. It's also useful if you are having algae problems. But I do not use one, and have never used one.

thanks for all your thoughts I've tried a couple other forums before this one and everyone on those were needless to say less than nice! think ill get rid of the canister and build a sump.

Funny, I just threw mine in the recycle bin today. I took mine out of the Biocube 29 and replaced the chamber with chaeto. The bioballs, if washed with tank water, will harbor beneficial bacteria but they are a pain to keep clean.

It's a type of macroalgae that uses nitrates to grow. Which inturn lowers the nitrate levels in your tank

Check out Biff's Chaeto "soup"....it usually looks like a ball of that stuff. They grow really fast under the right lighting. They're excellent at keeping ntirates down (because they pretty much suck up the nitrates)

https://www.livingreefs.com/chaeto-you-want-t24752.html

IMG_3662.jpg

got the skimmer and live rock working on the sump. was given a 55 gallon tank and the canister filter by a friend, my uncle who has gotten out of the hobby gave me his 100 gal tank and all the stuff that goes with it. plus a neighbor was moving out of state and sold me his 150 for $100 tank and stand only. so the only money i have spent so far is to update the equipment that is out dated

Back