bio wheels bad?

margaritaville

Reefing newb
Jhnrb you said that bio wheels are nitrate traps, I just went out and bought a new one for my tide pool, i thought it would be good to help cycle my new setup a bit faster. Would i be best to get rid of it. If there so bad why do people use them?
Thanks

bio wheels are devices that are to provide a medium for bacteria to grow and to help oxygenate the water by blowing off gases. The best way for me to explain it is to bring to your attention that we remove the bio balls from the wet dry system for the same reason, bacteria by product is nitrate. your live rock and substrait should give you all the bacteria filtering you need. for cycling your system the bio wheel is just fine and when nitrates start to show up if you can keep them below 5ppm, then keep the bio wheel but if you are not able to keep your nitrates down, removing the biowheel will help. Also if you have a large bio load and do frequent water changes, the bio wheel will help to convert waste to nitrate and the water changes will keep the nitrates down, so its a catch 22 i.e. bio wheel creates nitrate, water changes to get rid of it. at some point if the water changes cannot keep up with the nitrate then you will need to start eliminating the nitrate producting devices and add more natural filtration, rock, substrait, evaluate protein skimmer, feeding schedule and amount, etc. hope this answers your question.

Last edited:
Back