Bioballs...yes or no?

sandman

Reefing newb
Hi I read on a post yesterday about bioballs and not to use them or remove them... What does that mean? I thought bioballs help with bacteria or growth needed in your tank... My wet/dry system came with bioballs built in it... What is the verdict on bioballs? I want to get some knowledge on this topic...Thanks in advance

The do work but they can collect detritus and get dirty and then you have to clean them all the time with tank water. Remove 20% of them every 3 or 4 days so as not to remove too much beneficial bacteria at a time.

So I should remove most of them? My wet/dry has a drain chamber that fills back up to the top, then drains onto the prefilter which then slow drips/ trickles onto the bioballs, then into the bottom where there is a carbon filter and the main sump area where the pump and skimmer are.

Here is a attachment of what my wet/dry looks like.... I don't think I can make it inot a refrigium. I've been told by several LFS that these people make top notch products, so they have to know what they are doing I would think? Plus I got it for free from an account that my fiancee supplies pet food to.

Attachments

• WetDry400ClosedTray.jpg
    WetDry400ClosedTray.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 440
I was still curious about this. After seeing my livingcolor set up, is there a way to make it a refrigium? Also are the balls designed to stay in here on this type of system?

Back