Biocube 14 cycling help

unejam

Reefing newb
Hello. New to LivingReefs and getting back into saltwater aquariums after an almost 20 year hiatus.

I'm currently cycling a 14 gallon biocube and am just over 3 weeks into it. Here's what I've done:

Added 14 pounds cured live rock (is the abundance of hitchhikers a sign of cured lr? - I have a button polyp, several starfish, 4 tiny brittle stars, etc.)
10 lbs live sand
Didn't test the water until the 2nd week with all parameters at 0
Started ghost feeding flake food every other day during the 2nd week
Last Friday (3 days ago) added a cooked shrimp and is now looking pretty gross
Still no ammonia spike, no nitrites, and nitrates at about 10

Is it possible I missed the spike or had a short cycle due to my live rock?

Thanks!

I would do a WC, add a few snails and give it another week or two and see what your parameters do. If you're stable, add a fish. What are you wanting to stock in there?

I would not do a cleaner shrimp. They are so compacted in there its a little inhumane. Plus the small fish are pretty scared of them and they are always trying to escape. I would only do 2 corals, birdsnest, pulsing zenia, open brains seem to do ok with these set ups. I personally would get rid of the bio balls now. They have alot of replacements for your 2nd stage to keep nitrates down. Biocubes love nitrates!

Also, corals do not affect your bioload and you can have as many as you want as long as they aren't waging chemical warfare on each other. :)

A biocube 14 with 10-15lbs? Add a cleaner shrimp with sweeping tenticles that takes up 1 eight the tank and add as many corals as you want? Corals dont crap? I think something is wrong with my obc. Maybe im wrong. I do own a biocube and those were the mistakes i made. I say easy on stocking your cuc, a couple not a lot. The best luck for me was the emerald crab, algae machines. I drilled holes in the feeding door to release co2 from the water column, keeping it open works the same. A 10g tank and a biocube are 2 completely different animals. I would aslo add the fans. They will go out on you really quickly, silentx does wonders, move your cfms from 8-12. This will keep your tabk cooler with the maga heat it gives off. 4 degrees a day, never needed a heater and i live in wi. Change up that 185gph pump to a 237 and ull be set. I spent alot of money to keep that thong running. Good luck, im out

Something wrong with your obc? Corals and clean up crew have very little impact on bioload. Overstocking fish is an entirely different matter.

Please google "do coral produce nitrates" according to 6500 posts on it i would go with them. Stuffing your tank with "as much coral as u want" will cause a spike ie target feeding and ensuring 100% doesnt get released into tank, iffy, or just not feeding them will work to, for a while until they die. Cuc that die in your tank will make your nitrates go off the handle. If you are retired or dont work, making sure nothing happens at all times, sure its all possible, but not safe. Good luck and semper fi.

The vast majority of corals do not need to be target fed. They won't die if they don't get meaty foods. They are photosynthetic. They get all they need from the light.

Back