biocube 29

donlilly

Reefing newb
I have a 2 yr old Biocube 29 with 72 w light. Can I replace the canopy with a nanocustoms 150 or upgrade with something to get more light to grow corals?? thanks.

I dont see why you couldnt.We've had a couple of customers at the LFS that took the tops off their BioCubes and hung 150 watt pendents over em.
And welcome to the site.

are you happy with the Sunpod? Did you hang it as a canopy? Thanks.

The sunpod has worked out well. No, I used the little legs to stand it over the tank. There is a company called nano tuners.com that sells a BC29 retrofit for the hood. You mail them your hood and they upgrade it to metal halides or they can double the existing compact fluorescent. They are expensive and the hood with all that light in there might produce heat problems.

Last edited:
You should also check out a website called Nano-Reef.com Forums and look at thier all-in-1 forum. There is more info there about mod'ing BC29s than you can take in but the website is not always that responsive to inquiries. Living reefs is better for that. With my BC29 I have nitrates down to zero and healthy tank. I did not use an expensive skimmer.

thank you very much. One last question. When you used the legs of the Sunpod above the BC29, did you just leave the remainder of the open BC29 exposed to air or cover it with some acrylic or glass to prevent evaporation??? Thanks again.

thank you very much. One last question. When you used the legs of the Sunpod above the BC29, did you just leave the remainder of the open BC29 exposed to air or cover it with some acrylic or glass to prevent evaporation??? Thanks again.

Very good question. I cut an expensive piece of acrylic and it was a bad idea. Tha acrylic heats up and softens under the MH light then it bends down and touches the water. I am going to get a custom piece of glass cut for my tank. You can go without a top but my dog and cat put too much hair in dust into the air and I don't want it settling in my tank. Make sure a lid does not cut off air! The surface water needs fresh air over it for oxygen exchange. A simmer will help with this.

Some other suggestions: the stock pump doesn't have great flow. You may want to upgrade to a Rio 6hf at some point. Many people with BC29s put rock in the back chambers, I think this is bad idea.

Back