Biocube

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
I just found a really good deal on an oceanic Biocube and looking for some input. What coul I realistically keep in a 14 gallon one with two 24 watt power compacts. Any other additions to it that would make it work better?

I dont think you would be able to some of the higher end light creatures with those lights, but i think you get away with softies and LPS corals.

And here is a great place to check out nano fish that would do well in that size tank:
Nano Fish

I think its possible to upgrade the lights, but im not sure if you have to buy a tank with the lights already upgraded or you can just switch out the hoods. But you really arent that limited with those lights. You couldnt keep a clam under those or an anemone (but you really shouldnt put one in a tank that small anyways) or the higher end SPS corals. But there are lots of really cool LPS corals that i think would do well with those lights. Certainly more than enough to fill that sized tank.

I would but I don't really have any room for it in my apartment and I'd rather have it than nothing...I only have a 20 gallon now so it's not like I'm losing 50 gallons or anything.

I had the 14 gal Oceanic Biocube for awhile and after the lights went south I replaced with LED's, seemed to work okay but like one of the earlier post, I could have just gotten a regular setup/tank around 29 gal with the works for what I invested. Stay focused

Dont worry about space, im pretty sure the 14 and 29 are quite similar in size, hardly noticeable.

its half the size lol its really obvious

i have a 24 gallon nano cube and i like it
BUT you seriously have to get the flow way from the start and keep it that way and dont do sand it jsut a nusiance
in that tank the lights really arent that big of an issue if i remember right it should be running duel 24 watt straight pin compacts so that gets you about 3 1/3 watts per gallon you can upgrade to an led hood but i have no clue what that gets you, and ive heard whispering in the waves about a metal halide setup but thats just scuttle butt at the moment
if youre crafty like me you could make plans to add some of those leds made for coral growth to the hood
the cubes are nice overall tanks good for beginners

Last edited:
Yeah I normally don't shop for fish stuff at Petsmart or Petco but I was getting dog food and they had I marked down to 119 for some reason I opened it up an it was all there brand new...not sure why but works for me

yeah sometimes stores will just clerance larger items to make way for other/smaller items. plus most people dont wanna pay regular price for the cubes

Back