Bleached Anenomes

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Alright, well, I went to the biggest LFS in melbourne the other day, and they had an amazing looking bleached bubble tip anemone.

From everything i've read, these are not safe because it hides whether or not they are healthy?

He has said this one was in someones tank for 5 years so it's quite old.

Anything I should know before I decide if I should pick up this bleached anemone?

My tank is very stable and nitrates are sitting at a constant 5-10 and all other levels have been stable for about 2 months.

I would like it, but know I shouldnt have one for anywhere up to a year.

What do you guys think?

IMO from what I have been reading. How much of your tank are you willing to loose? If something happens the countdown timer starts and it’s a race to get the other stuff in a QT to save them.

Ive always wanted one and the risks are high if your not careful. This tank is running as steady as possible. Even my LFS who has been very knowledgeable said they arent worried about me killing it, just that it wont open for a few months.

im just wondering about when they are bleached if that creates inherent risks and new problems

It's always a risk buying an unhealthy animal....especially 1 that is somewhat delicate. Ask why it's bleached. If someone had it in their system for 5 yrs (which is not old by any means), why did they get rid of it? Was it bleached before they got rid of it or did it bleach while at the store?

Normally nems are better suited for tanks that have been up and running for 6 months or longer. I see your tank has been running for approx 3 months. Also what kind of lighting do you have as they require high lighting. Nems are tricky to care for if you tank params aren't just right and they can destroy your whole system if they die. Normally bleached nems are not healthy and there is some reason as to why they lost their color. If you do decide to go with it I wish you the best of luck. Post some pics of it too.

I dont recommend anemones for a reef tank at all.
And I especially wouldnt get a bleached anemone.Just to much bad risk on that one IMO.

I think you may have a shot at nursing it back to health if your tank was older, but not in a tank that is only a few months old. Sorry. :cry:

Mmm, good to know I should completely avoid the bleached anemone

As a three month old tank all paramaters are perfect and have been steady for 2 months. Nothing has died due to anything except getting into the overflow and algae is non existent in my tank. I dont think I will have any problems with my water and am very confident on the ability to keep the nem

My lights are more than sufficient as well. I have seen a lot of nems go into tanks that are 2 months old with my LFS and the only thing that happened was they stayed close till the tank became a bit more established, or they opened up straight away.

So ill leave this bleached one alone completely and look at a nice healthy one over the next month or 2 :)

I will tell you how all this goes though, will be interesting to put the established tank theory to the test hehe

but probably not a good time to say I want a sea apple either? yea, might skip on those buggers, one poisonous item is enough

Hahaha same. Ive got a wall in my room that would fit a 6x2x2 but try to convince my rents to say yes :frustrat:

Alright, well, I went to the biggest LFS in melbourne the other day, and they had an amazing looking bleached bubble tip anemone.

From everything i've read, these are not safe because it hides whether or not they are healthy?

He has said this one was in someones tank for 5 years so it's quite old.

Anything I should know before I decide if I should pick up this bleached anemone?

My tank is very stable and nitrates are sitting at a constant 5-10 and all other levels have been stable for about 2 months.

I would like it, but know I shouldnt have one for anywhere up to a year.

What do you guys think?
I have a bleached anemone a heteractis crispa, have had it since 10/04/2010, everyone tells me it has lost its zooxanthella and is going to die, well I have been feeding it with fresh mussels, shrimps and coccles, it has grown quite a size but the problem is if it decides to move around the tank, mine has and has smothered a beautiful waving hand coral, I would not have anemones in a reef tank had I known.

Allen

I have been lucky with mine . It seems to be happy at the same spot for over a year. Probably because I keep it fed and it gets a lot of light where it's at.

Don't buy it, as tempting as it sounds. Wait for your tank to mature, then get yourself a really awesome flame RBTA

Hi,

I just purchased a sabre anemone, it is bleached white with blue tips. (I did not know it was bleached at the time) It is fully open and after just two days is not eating but it did attach right away.

This is not my first, I had a long tentacle tube anemone for three years until it began to eat my fish, then it went to another home. All my power heads and intake tubes are covered.

My tank is 5 years old, 90g with 2 X 175 MH with 96 W actinic lighting. I have been doing some reading and with proper care it should darken up, any idea about how long that may take, so I can monitor its progress?

Back