Blown Ballast?

ph33nyx

Reefing newb
I'm just wondering if this is what a blown ballast looks like:

2012-06-18_17-37-14_877.jpg

The brand is Aqua Marine. When I first got it I opened the case and the "black gooey" stuff was already there. I figured it was for some kind of water protection. So the capacitor would be the round looking thing that looks split with the white stuff coming out of it?
Would this be something I could replace myself? I've already contacted the owner where I bought the light and he informed me that there was a 3 yr warranty and he would send me out a new one right away, but if I can replace the piece that's bad it couldn't be bad to have a spare laying around.

You probably could replace it, but you don't know if that is the bad part or if something else caused it to go bad. You would also need the right part. I am not 100% sure it is a capacitor, but looks like one to me.

Ok....the MH I have is rated at 150w and that's what the power supply stated. When I received the new one from the seller today it had 250w on it. I did plug it in and it does light up the bulb. What concerns should I have? I've ask for a 150 before and he always sends a 250. Should I just bump to a 250 bulb?

I would suspect that might be the reason why your original ballast went out. If they are sending you a ballast rated for 250watts, and the land is only rated for 150 watts, there might be some strain put on the circuitry of the ballast.

Lamp Operation @ Radionic

Ballast Lamp Mismatch:

If ballasts and lamp types are mismatched, poor or no performance will result. This may include starting problems as well as shortened lamp and/or ballast life (incidentally, mismatching may void safety listing and ballast or lamp warranty). Pre-heat, instant start and rapid start lamps have different electrical needs and the matching ballast is designed to supply those needs.

Although written on a florescent web site, the two types of fixtures operate on similar principles.

Back