Blue damsel

Jaredf

Reefing newb
I got a full size blue damsel from a fellow reefer that was giving him away, i thought it would be a good idea to put it in my sons tank with his clown, which is still pretty small, well after being in there with him for around 8 hours i fed them and he started beating up the clown pretty good and took a little chunk of his tail off , i transferred the clown back in my main tank, which he was in before, my question is what type of fish could i put the damsel its a 15gallon tank.

Ugh, why do people and especially those who are suppose to know better even sell or even give these fish to beginners?

I made the same mistake. Had to tear down all my aquascaping to catch the little bastards. I returned them to the lfs that sold them to me.

LOL, damsels are the DEVIL. GL getting it out! Not just saying you but more people should use the search funtcion on here for info before making an impulse buy!

I had to put my Fiji Blue Devil in his own 20G cause he killed my beloved 2 year old plate coral that I kept in perfect condition. I came closing to flushing that little devil.

They make great tank mates for Dragon Eels in large aquariums

I am glade your son likes him...they make for great entertainment because of their high energy

Last edited:
They're pretty fish, IMO. I thought of having a tank with just corals and a damsel LOL
oh really thats cool i can get you a deal on them i know someone with a mess of devils and domino's they don't want any more hahaha the were $5 each now free. you can put them in the tank now and transfer them later :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I have a blue damsel in my 20g just to get the cycle going, plus he was all i could afford being it's my daughter 5th bday this week. Was maybe gonna trade him after a few months. But now I'm thinking of getting a pair of maroons, and I already have a strawberry basslet that is in my QT right now. You guys think they're aggresive enough to fend for themselves? I forgot how cute the YT's were (had two in my 55g for 4 years with no problems).

You should never ever every cycle a tank with a fish, that is needlessly cruel. Next time just toss a piece of table shrimp in there, it will work just fine to start the cycle.

And i would get her the strawberry basslet, maroon clowns cannot live forever in a 10 gal not, especially not a pair.

Littlefish, its a 20g now, & that's what I thought too (about the cycle), but I bought this *
LS that said "fish ready", and since I hadn't bought LS in years I thought it might've been something new! Water was never cloudy, but still not trusting it, I went to one of the LFS with the params I took that morning (1.24 salinity, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, pH 8.0, 0 phos, 440 cal, but ammonia was a bit higher at .25) and inquired. Even asked about the shrimp, but he was adamant that I should add a fish! So I bought SHARKBAIT :). And I'm not even sure I'll get a pair of maroons, may only get one cuz I know they're mean af!

I wouldnt keep a single maroon in a 20 gal either, and find it especially bad that you knew better to try and cycle the tank with a fish and you did it anyways when you had an ammonia reading.

Of course he is going to try and sell you something, its a store, that is what they do. Very few LFS actually care or have real knowledge of the hobby.

Back