Blue green chromises

Kwater

Chill
Do they need any special type of nutrition they don't look like the helthiest chromises in the world. Kinds see throush and lookba little beat up. Nothing noticable just to me because I look at them everyday

No, they should be fine eating whatever the rest of your fish eat. They are some of the easiest fish in the hobby to keep, are yours being bothered by other fish or chasing each other?

chromis eat a lot of plankton in the wild. I've read an article that recommends feeding them little and often between 3-7 times a day! They need to be treated similar to anthias in feeding. If you have a lot of them, they will kill each other off until there is enough food for the group.

i would agree on the feeding little and often option, i had a group of 12 chromis at one point. there was allways a dominant one but that changed on regular occasions mine would eat anything that entered the tank foodwise lol.
have you tried the garlic option to try and get them eating more??

Well I feed my fish twice a day. On accosion once a day. But rarly. I also feed plankton though. And what is the garlic method and thank you for mentoining it I would like I know

you soak the fish food in garlic extract like selcon or kent garlic extract. there are others out there also i think

Selcon is not the same as garlic extract. Selcon is vitamins and amino acids. Garlic extract is...well, garlic extract. Kent Marine and Seachem make a garlic extract food additive, but you can also just do it yourself at home by pressing some garlic.

when doing it at home you have to press a few cloves of garlic and then microwave it for 60 seconds this way it makes the scent of the garlic really strong, then net out all of the little pieces of garlic so that you just have the liquid, after this you soak your food wether it be flake, brine, mysis whatever you use you soak it for a couple of hours and then feed it to your fish

Ahhh... this would explain why two of my three chromis died right away. Bought all three on a saturday. One was gone by monday and the other by tuesday. I feed the tank once every other day. The third seems to be doing fine.

i wouldnt have said its because of odd numbers i have never heard of that before. chromis are mass shoaling fish that need to create a dominance level. if you are only adding small numbers they will pick the weakest one out and bully it usually leading to death. so the larger the number added together the better

Chromises are great at math! :bounce: Interesting.
I don't know what the cause is, but I started with 20 in my large tank and in under a year I now have 9. They always look healthy and I never see a sick one. One just disappears. I have noticed that some grow much larger than others even though they all started out the same size.

Maybe my crabs grab them when they go into the rocks at night to sleep?

Back