Blue Linckia Starfish (is it time?)

IMHO, the blue linkia is one of those items better left in the ocean.
No one REALLY knows what it eats and I think those that do get it to survive long term are just lucky.

Others may have a different opinion, but that's mine. :)

I had a blue linka and i dont think it lasted longer then a month. I hadnt tried it again up until 3 weeks ago and thats only cause someone gave it to me. I dont know if it will survive or not but its a 50/50 shot. My opinion i wouldnt buy another one cause no one is sure how to make it survive. :Cheers: If you decide to good luck

I agree with both above. I tried one and it lasted about 2 years. It slowly got thinner and thinner until it starved to death.

I inherited a blue one from the guy I got my liverock from. He's missing 3/4 of one of his legs thanks to one the crabs that the guy had. I didn't know that they were difficult, I just put him in when I added the live rock....He's lasted a couple of months and seems to be doing ok. Is there something that I might be able to do, to try and keep him alive?

If you want a start try a brittle or a serpent. You probably wont see them much, but the'll be a good addition to your cuc. I had an orange fromia star and it only lasted about a week.

Even though I do agree with the difficulty of them I have one that is over 4 yrs old. One of the keys is to make sure that it is not exposed to Air. They feed off of microbes in the tank. Every once in a while I`ll set an algea tab under him. BTW here he is.

100_0813.JPG

That is a really cool star. So can we assume you need about 6 yrs experience before attempting one of these?

I luv the look of those but the LFS guy told me they have trouble keeping them alive. I get attached to my pets so I won't get anything that will probably die.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with "white sand sifting stars" dont see them all the time, but its fun when they rise from the sand and crawl around the sand bed.

image.jpg
I just got one, the LFS exposed him to the air, after I read about not doing that. I should have not accepted it. So far after two weeks it's doing ok. I posted a question about the situation in the invert threads. I got my answer here I guess. Maybe right now it's ok but I bet it doesn't last long. I guess if I lose it I won't get another one either.
Maybe I need to be a little more assertive if I see the LFS handling the animal not in accordance with what I have read and not accepting it. I should have said no I don't want it if you are going to expose it to the air as you bag it up. Instead I figured he knew better than me and maybe it will be ok.
I bet it won't be in the long run. Here is a photo of it right now on the glass.

Back