blue niger triggers

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Looking for anyone who has had a blue niger trigger in a reef system. I know some say yes and some say no. I have a chance to pick one up and add it to my 180 but want to be sure before I do. The only shrimp I have is a cleaner. The guy that has it says he has peppermints in his tank that the trigger is in and it never bothers the shrimp or anything else in the tank. Says that it's very docile which works for me. He also has an Atlantic Blue Tang but I have my limit of tangs already I think with already having a kole, sailfin and blonde naso. Anyone who has one or has had one want to chime in?

I had one for a couple years when I had my 150g tank. They are very cool fish. It never messed with any of my shrimp, snails, crabs or fish. It would rearrange a rock or two every now then so make sure your reef is solid. Mine was about 6" when I got rid of it and the tank.
There is always the possibility of getting one more aggressive than the one I had. There is a trigger called a Crosshatch that is really more reef safe but they are very expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to try another Niger.

I'll second salt. I had one in my 150 as well. Mostly well behaved with livestock (aside from inverts I added after him) and little Rock rearranging. I did have to glue all my frags down, though. Those he loved to move.

They're fantastic and gorgeous fish, though.

Back