Blue ringed octopus

KoryFox

Reefing newb
I'll try to make this short if I can. I was in the hobby for several years and was pretty successful with a 220 reef aquarium. Life got busy with having kids and couldn't keep up with the tank financially and time wise so I sold it about 12 years ago.

Now I have a 7 year old little boy that is obsessed with animals in general but most specifically with the ocean. His birthday is tomorrow and he's been asking for a 29 gallon fish tank. We decided to get him one and start him with fresh water.

However, he was reading me a book the other day and it had a blue ringed octopus in it. I remember some years ago seeing one at a pet store, so I was wondering if it is possible to keep one in an aquarium or if there's another small type of octopus that could be kept. How difficult would it be? What type of filtration, etc. etc.

Thanks,
Kory

In my opinion, such a bad idea. Blue rings are real bad if you get bit for one, secondly 29 isnt big enough, thirdly, you will not believe how smart and fixed on escape octopus can be. Maybe you could get an octopus, but you will have to have a decent sized tank, be devoted to the levels, due to the fact if you spook it, and it 'inks' itself, it may kill itself if you dont do a big water change. They are super strong too, and love to get into the tinyest holes, maybe causing a rock slide if you dont secure you rockwork.
Im just spitballing, you can go for an octopus, but, stay away from a blue ring, I was visiting Australia when a guy died from being bit by one.
See what others think here, but I would say to go for something easier

I had a feeling it wasn't a good idea. I called a local saltwater fish store and the guy said, in addition to what you said, that they're life span is only about a year also. He said there are a few non poisonous ones, but still short lifespan. We'll stick to the orignal idea.

Blue Ring is a 100% NO, especially since a kid is involved. All it takes is one time of moving rocks or cleaning in the tank and not paying attention and BOOM . There is a reason you never see someone keeping them, they are FAR to dangerous. Also an octopus is very messy, it would be a chore to keep one in a 29g tank. You would be doing multiple water changes per week just to keep up with the waste produced. If you want something with a ton of personality and something that you and you kidd-o can interact with, why not look into a mantis. I know they also have the potential to hurt you , but at least you will still be alive to laugh about it later on.

My suggestion would be to do a mixed reef with a group of small reef fish and interesting inverts. It could be used as a source of relaxation and enjoyment, as well as a learning tool.

Hope this was useful information, and good luck with what ever route you decide to take.

Yeah, clown fish and shrimp and crabs and lots of great creatures that will be waaay more exciting to watch.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

All octopi are considered "expert only" animals. And I wouldn't buy my kid what is considered one of the most venomous animals on earth as a pet, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

+1 everyone....definitely no to the blue ring. I've heard that the water in the tank will become toxic, and all it takes for one curious kid to stick his hand in there (or in the sump), then put his finger in his mouth without thinking for him to get sick or worse.

Where in VA are you? If you're in northern, VA, have you visited Marine Scene in Herndon? Awesome place to buy livestock.

I'm in the Richmond area. We decided to stick with our original plan and do fresh water for now, but I know he's going to be pushing for a salt water tank sooner rather than later. Maybe I should start a new thread, but has there been any changes/advancements in the last 12 years or so? Everyone still doing live rock, live sand and protein skimmers? Any advancements on some of the harder species to keep like goniopora?

Goniopora are not considered impossible to keep anymore. :) Lots of people have success with them, but I still wouldn't call them a "beginner coral". Live rock and a protein skimmer is still the most popular way to set a tank up -- incorporating a sump and refugium is immensely helpful.

I had a sump and a refugium on my 220. I honestly am hoping he's happy with his tank for a while. I can't really afford to get into a reef again right now. Not the way I'd want to do it anyway. I'm never happy unless I go big with something like that. Our house is not really big enough for a big tank either. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Kory

There are some really nice all-in-one nano tank setups, and they come with equipment that's good enough to keep any kind of coral you'd want. They are compact and sleek looking, and they don't have to break the bank.

Probably the biggest advance is the use of LED lights - expensive, but you never have to replace bulbs, energy costs are low, and the high end ones are modular so you can keep using them when you upgrade and have all sorts of fun effects!

We thought about doing a small tank with just an anemone and clownfish setup. Are the LED's powerful enough for anemones and corals? I know I had alot of money in metal hallide and vho lighting on my tank. I had a bubble tip anemone that split several times. I ended up with 9 or 10 of them at one point. Ron Shimek had told me at a conference that I must have been doing something right because no organism would reproduce unless it was getting all of it's basic essential needs met.

We thought about doing a small tank with just an anemone and clownfish setup. Are the LED's powerful enough for anemones and corals? I know I had alot of money in metal hallide and vho lighting on my tank. I had a bubble tip anemone that split several times. I ended up with 9 or 10 of them at one point. Ron Shimek had told me at a conference that I must have been doing something right because no organism would reproduce unless it was getting all of it's basic essential needs met.

LED's are definitely capable of sustaining Anemone's - just do your research first and make sure you're buying a quality fixture - there is a lot of knock off crap on the market now

yep everyone still does the LIVE rock/sand with skimmers and all that good stuff. IMO he is young but if its what he gonna go to my as well do it now and get him on track. could teach the lil dudski some responsibility and stuff !

Back