Blue Spotted Jawfish

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Living Reefs - My wife has taken a liking to a blue spotted jawfish at my LFS. I dont know much about them other than they are bottom dwellers and they dig a burrow to live in. LiveAquaria lists them as reef safe, but are there any concerns to keeping these guys?

My rocks were laid on the glass, and the sand was filled in around them, so landsliding rocks should not be an issue. The only concern I have is that most of my sand is pretty fine, will he still be able to make a burrow if I bring him home?

Thoughts, or suggestions on keeping these guys?

These guys are jumpers, more of a qustion of when than if. So make sure you have a super tight fitting lid. Other than that, i would go for it.

They're cool but expensive. And +1 they are jumpers, my LFS keeps them in a cage inside the display tanks for that reason.

+1 on the jumping. You could do a screen dont need a lid. My jawfish jumped to his death a while back. I didnt have the blue spotted but still very cool fish, with a price tag to match.

+1 on jumping.

I had a Dusky jawfish, and he found a way to jump my overflow, and jump at feeding...

If your sand is superfine, just grab some crushed coral or pebbles and put them in the tank, the Jaw will pick them up and make a nice little home with them.

One thing to note though, if you have a sand sifting fish, you might want to do some compatibility research as they will compete for food/space, but you've got a 180gallon tank, so you should be fine.

No other sand sifting fish to worry about, and I was planning on making some sort of screen for the top of the tank

Are these guys hard to get feeding? I do have some bigger / more boisterous tangs in my tank

My jaw would dart in and out of his little hole to grab food. It shouldn't be a problem.

I'd just pay attention when it comes to feeding time, and if it looks like he isn't getting any food you can turkey baster the bottom of the tank to make sure he's got some food floating in front of him.

Yes, too bad the fish was sold by the time I was able to make it down to the store...

I guess it was for the best though, I've recently had some nitrate issues and I decided to finally pull the trigger on a bio pellet reactor

Out of curiosity, would a blue spotted jawfish and watchman goby do okay in a 90g? Or would they duke it out over territory?

Back