Books on SW

houston

Reefing newb
Went to Pet Store today to buy stuff for all the animals and I started looking at the SW books. Is there a particular favorite?

what information are you looking for. ill try and help if i know what subject matter youre most interested in and what price range.

Well I understand FW through and through. SW I am completely new at. I've read posts about skimmers and live rock or live sand and letting the tank set for some time to setup.

So I guess I am looking for a goto book to read to give me the basics I should know before I start my first SW tank. I used to have a favorite FW book that I've lost in the several moves I've made over the years (I really miss that book) I think it was called "the complete guide to freshwater"... I think it had a picture of a gourami on the front and it wasn't very thick but it was to the point and accurate. I guess I am looking for the same thing, but for SW tanks.

The Conscientious MARINE AQUARIST
by-Robert M. Fenner
pages - apprx. 400
TFH Publications
ISBN 1-890087-02-5 (soft cover)
1-890087-03-3 (hardcover)

The New Marine Aquarium
by - Michael S. Paletta
pages - apprx. 140
TFH Publications
ISBN 1-890087-52-1 (paper back)

ABOVE ARE A COUPLE BOOKS YOU WOULD LIKE. I HAVE THEM IN MY LIBRARY AND THEY ARE WELL REPRESENTED WITH GOOD INFORMATION AND PRESENTATION. HOPE IT HELPS.

:twocents: IM NOT TRYIN TO INSULT OR ANYTHING I OWN THE BOOK MY SELF BUT I FOUND THAT A LOT OF BOOKS SEEM TO TARGET INDIVIDUAL THINGS AND GO INTO THINGS U REALLY DONT NEED TO BE CONFUSED ABOUT YET SO MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE SALTWATER FOR DUMMIES ITS A GREAT BOOK STILL IT JUST ABOUT COVERS EVERYTHING AT A NOVICE TYPE LEVEL FROM SET UP TO WATER FEEDING SUSTRATE FISH CORALS ALGE ALGE CONTROL TESTIN WATER CHANGES AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON NICE THICK BOOK TO FOR ONLY ABOUT 20 T0 25 BUCKS LIKE I SAID ITS A VERY WELL ROUNDED BOOK FOR STARTERS SHOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL A BOOK EVERY NEWBE AND EXPERTS SHOULD OWN VERY CLEAR STRAIGHT FOWARD AND THEY PUT STUPID STUFF IN IT TO KEEP IT INTRESTING ALSO GIVES CHECK LIST FOR DAILY WEEKLY AND MONTHY MAINTANCE LISTING U COULD HANG ON WALL IF U WANT TO HELP REMIND AT FIRST . HAPPY READIN :trampolin P.S U SHOULD SUBSCRIBE TO US MARIN AND REEF MAG THER AWSOME BUT GET THE BOOK FIRST IT HELPS SO MUCH.

Last edited:
Yeah. I saw that book @ PetSmart. I'll probably swing by today and pick it up. Can't have too many reference books anyway. Thanks for the reply.

Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook.I would have to recommend this book to all newbies to the hobby.It goes in to a lot of details on differant things .

Back