botton polyps

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Ok I have a few botton polyps on this rock and most of them are opened but 1 part of the rock they are all closed up. Question is that normal? Is there something I can do its been like this for about 3 days now. I real have no idea whats going on its never happened. Any help would be great.
Thank you
Rose

Mine closed several months ago and never opened again. I think I put them in my tank too early while my tank was still cycling and they got stressed. The amazing thing is each and everyone of them appear to still be alive. They haven't shrunk or anything and seem to have decent color. They just never open. Ever. I moved them to what should be a decent spot in the tank and ignore them for now. I'm hoping they will open again or maybe new ones will start from the colony. I have a newer rock full of them and it is doing very well - even starting to spread.

My first zoanthids closed up and never opened again. I had a great LFS, which I now frequent often, that gave me some orange zoanthids to see if my tank could support them. They are still alive and are twice the size they were when I got them.

I had some button polyps closed up for about 2 months. They got pissed because I fragged a couple off and handled them a little rough. Today (a year later) that same colony is 25 polyps strong and each polyp is as thick as your finger with big fat heads the size of a nickel.

If they aren't melting, then relax. Check for little white bugs or tiny brown spiders on the outside if they are closed up. Might dip them in a couple weeks if they start to look sick. For now, as long as they aren't wasting away or covered in white spots, sit back and relax.

i fragged my button polyps and they seem to be doing just fine they opened in about an hour. so i think it goes back to each tank is different and every coral will react different to each situation

Back