Bought My First Coral!

not to smart or any thing but most corals have algae in them that feed on nutrients in the water which is why they say to keep nitrates at around 5 and not 0 as i have seen in my own tank. when my nitrates were at 0 i didnt see much coral growth and my war coral started to bleach so i let my nitrates raise to 5 and held them there and now i have better coral growth and my war coral got its deep red color back

keep with more peaceful corals and you can put more in your tank (or just get a bigger tank you know bigger is always better:D:D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:)

20140318_092530.jpg
Here is a picture of my plate trying to eat/poop a skunk molt. Q: can corals eat, digest, poop? I think the picture answers that. Q: when a coral dies, does it affect the nitrogen cycle? It is a living creature. They claim photosynthetic on corals, the same as plants, where I live my plants don't eat meat they may absorb it in from the ground. Now don't misconstrue my statement, corals do need light as do we. Inverts are a bioload too, just wanted to state the eating/ pooping.

Shep - Not sure where in Maryland you are but if you are in the DC Metro area you should check out the local reef club. Well worth joining you can get great coral and group buy savings that make it worth while. They have a meeting coming up in a few weeks....many vendors and members selling corals. Maybe you can find your third. Some examples of my pickups.... huge candy cane 25$....toadstool 10$.
toad.jpg

New%20CC.jpg

Happy to see the great choice in coral, but what was the first choice in school? Always happy to know where the younger generation of the hobby is going to land with their education. And who will take care of the living reef while you are away?

Shep - Not sure where in Maryland you are but if you are in the DC Metro area you should check out the local reef club. Well worth joining you can get great coral and group buy savings that make it worth while. They have a meeting coming up in a few weeks....many vendors and members selling corals. Maybe you can find your third. Some examples of my pickups.... huge candy cane 25$....toadstool 10$.
toad.jpg

New%20CC.jpg
I actually am rright near that area, what is the name of the club and how do i join?

Happy to see the great choice in coral, but what was the first choice in school? Always happy to know where the younger generation of the hobby is going to land with their education. And who will take care of the living reef while you are away?
It is John Hopkins University :D I still will be!

Back