boxed sea water

You're better off mixing your own. The up front cost is huge on the bucket of salt, but you get 150+ gallons worth for the same price as four of those petco boxes. You at least know what you're getting as well, there's plenty of info regarding how much calcium/magnesium, trace elements, etc. are in each mix. I don't think petco water has been tested that much, simply because it's expensive.

That being said, I've never had any issues using it. On the last two sump builds, I used it to make up the new difference in volume. I didn't want to wait. I also used it for an emergency QT, and I've done water changes with it as well. It's much better than tap water, at least.

It's just expensive. If you're buying it for a fish then I don't see a problem if money isn't an issue. If you have corals, however, it's probably best to go with a known salt mix, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run. I wouldn't hesitate to use the petco stuff in a pinch though, but don't rely on it.

Every person I know on the coast gets their water from the ocean. They either get Catalina Island water or Scripps water. Most people try to use Scripps because it is actually free so zero cost in salt. Ive never seen a tank not do well with it however I have no idea where boxed is coming from

Back