boxfish poisons

jneigh1

Reefing newb
hey can someone tell me about boxfish, i was interested but need to know more about the poisons they secrete in the water, thanks for the help.

i know they are really hard to keep alive, and that they can release a toxin in the water if they get stressed which will wipe out your whole tank.

i dont have any complete details but all i know is you need to keep them in a non aggressive tank. they are not tough fish and can be easily bullied around. depending on what kind usualy need 125g minimum tank size and if they get stressed out or die they can release a toxin that can wipe out most if not everyting in your tank. amazing fish though

Pretty hard to keep alive. Not a good fish for the inexperienced or new people to the hobby. Their toxins can kill everything else in the tank, so if you keep one, you'll need to have enough water on hand to do a large emergency water change if necessary, and plenty of carbon.

hey thanks for your responses, sounds like too tough a job for me. they look really awesome too, what a shame. i deffinitly dont want to loose the fish i have though.

i have a 150 gallon with a picasso trigger, emperor angel, a lyretail hogfish, and a three striped damsel. i think i have been doing a good job except friday i had accidently dropped my fish food into the tank and everybody got ick. it was pretty funny though cause my picasso trigger got it first and he is suppose to be the hardiest next to the damsel.

Back