Brain coral dying

I noticed all the corals I have like being lower in the tank. I have a lot of flow almost anywhere but I have been able to see it better since adding them. They are like my guides to the flow you can't see.

I have a brain coral and it is about 18" from my 6x54 T5's and it seems perfect. i will be moving it to the bottom when it grows a little bigger. I just don't want it trampled by crabs or something. I mean I could leave it where it is but when it grows i will most likely move it and that is about 22" down.

Try lowering it 2/3 down for a week. Just my thoughts.

I've been using ESV salt for the past 7 months or so and I love it. I'm getting great polyp extension and my lps/softies are growing much faster than when I was using reef crystals. I chose this after researching because I didn't want to dose either. It's a 4 part mix so it takes an extra 5 minutes to mix.

Should I attempt to feed it nightly when it inflates? Or just leave it alone and give it a chance on it's own?

I wouldn't feed it regularly. With LPS corals I've seen that if you feed them too much they'll grow new polyps too fast for their skeleton to keep up.

What kind of fish do you have? Most fish need food more frequently than that. They have some pretty nice autofeeders for like 20 bucks.

Not necessarily, it depends on your stocking and setup. Yote only feeds his tank occasionally and my LFS only feeds his DT once every couple months and his fish have been in there for 3-5 years.

I dont target feed mine,the corals get cyclopeze, reef roids, and mysis fed a few times a week. What you do is turn off your filter while you feed, so they get the food and not the filter, but keep the circulators running, to keep the water moving.

What did he cost, if you don't mind my asking, I paid $65 for mine and its about 3-4"

This guy is 3". I paid 45 for him. At this LFS, pretty everything is 45, 90, 120: usually based on size. It's great for some corals, but it sucks for others. I paid 45 bucks for a small rock with 1 mushroom on it.

I really don't like to put a ton of food in the tank. Running skimmerless I have to be careful not to overfeed or have any extra waste.

Simple solution is to run with a skimmer. But that's not possible/probable.

You can get a HOB skimmer. :wink:

I own three of them from previous setups. Due to the location of the tank I only have 2" of clearance around the back of the tank. When I tried to set it up with my Octo on it my wife said it'd have to go in another room and I really wanted it in the living room.

I did a lot of reading about care for a skimmerless tank and I figured I'd give it a shot. There have been plenty of people with a lot of success. The main concern of course is slow buildup that eventually leads to failure. I know 8 months isn't really long term. But so far I've had less problems with the tank running skimmerless than I did when I ran with a sump or a HOB.

My plan had been to try to make a thin HOB refugium that'd run along the entire back of the tank. But I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have been running my 90 skimmerless for a year now. It can be done.

Can you give me a breakdown of your tank? Care you do, flow, inhabitants, etc? Just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

I'm trying to keep stuff that helps with nutrient export like the xenias and the clam, trying to add another clam but they're impossible to find down here. That plus weekly 10% water changes.

Do you have any suggestions for other corals that'll also help eat the nutrients

I don't really think people should use my tank as an example. I have 13 or 14 fish in there, I have a 35 gallon refugium packed with chaeto (which is what I credit with keeping the water clean) and I do water changes a few times a year. I feed 3 cubes of frozen food every other day. I have 3 Koralia Evos for flow, plus the return. I don't know why it looks okay with that maintenance routine, but it does.

I don't really think people should use my tank as an example. I have 13 or 14 fish in there, I have a 35 gallon refugium packed with chaeto (which is what I credit with keeping the water clean) and I do water changes a few times a year. I feed 3 cubes of frozen food every other day. I have 3 Koralia Evos for flow, plus the return. I don't know why it looks okay with that maintenance routine, but it does.

Yeah I think my tank would look like a sesspool if I did that.

Sarah, do you know of anyone that's made a super small external overflow? Something that'd hang over and be about 1.5" in depth. I'd love to have a massive fuge for this thing, but with the tank space as is I can't put anything manufactured back there.

It'd be OK if it flowed very little. Be beneficial for the fuge anyway.

Or do you have any suggestions on accomplishing that? I thought about making one that was the same depth, but having it go all around the back of the tank and it just doesn't seem practical at all.

No I don't know of an overflow that small. Sorry. :(

The more I'm in this hobby, the more I realize the importance of refugiums. If there's any way you can incorporate one, I think it'd go a long way.

Could you have the overflow box on the side of the tank?

No I don't know of an overflow that small. Sorry. :(

The more I'm in this hobby, the more I realize the importance of refugiums. If there's any way you can incorporate one, I think it'd go a long way.

Could you have the overflow box on the side of the tank?

It'd cover a large part of the display :*(

I have a similar setup. No skimmer but strong flow, lots of cheato and I understock. I do a 50% water change every 4 to 6 weeks. My corals are fine.

How would an overflow box on the side cover your display? I had to put mine on the side and you don't notice it too much.

Back