Brain not opening. Why?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I got a really nice brain coral from divers den on July 2nd and it doesn't ever fully inflate. It's inflates a tiny bit at night and during the day it shrinks up. First I had it in full light and then I thought maybe it was too much light so I moved it to a more shaded area and it's still the same. Any ideas?

I soppose I should list some parameters lol I know better than that..

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5
Ph 8.0
SG 1.025
Temp 79

It's not in a high flow area either.. I'm stumped

Do you test your alkalinity? I've found that brains are especially sensitive to alk and often are the first corals to show signs that something is wrong with the alk.

Phos tested zero and I tested calc and alk the other day and to my surprise both calc and alk are high. But here's the kicker. I have two brains in my ten gallon, expanded fully with same water and same salt mix. Maybe this brain is just not as strong and taking super long to acclimate itself?

What type of brain is it? Perhaps it is one that just doesn't puff up as much as others? I'd be surprised if it was taking this long to acclimate, since divers den specimens are usually super healthy...

Sorry I forgot to take a pic before leaving for work. I did have my hubby move it towards the glass in the back corner so I could see it better and it's a pretty low flow area. I've seen the feeder tentacles come out once so far. It's an Indonesian open brain coral. No near any other corals on the sandbed.

Exact parameters for the calcium and alk are..
Calc... Off the charts actually. I'm estimating it's around 540-560
Alk is also off chart around 16

When it does start to puff up its usually at night so I'll try and get a pic tonight.

How did you acclimate it to your lighting? It is usually best to gradually increase the amount of light it receives over the course of a few weeks. Just tossing them in at full brightness can cause stress.

Another thought is that it might still be on indonesian time. :dunno: Coral jet leg?

I'm placed it on the sand in the shaded area thinking it wouldn't like direct light but the. Again divers den keeps their corals in metal halides

I haven't tried feeding it since I got it so tonight when I got home from work I turned off all flow and tried feeding it. It was pretty hungry but still doesn't expand like other brains I've seen. Maybe this Type really doesnt expand like other but I could have sworn the divers den picture showed it all puffed up. As long as the skeleton isn't showing its fine right? Anyways here's some pictures of when I fed it.
62efbc1c.jpg

491a6421.jpg

b1798ebe.jpg

Yes, that kind should get puffy and expand. I think it's due to your water parameters being off. You really need to fix your calcium and alk, especially. Do you use any additives?

I dont use any additives. I took a picture of the brain just a min ago. Here's what it looks like now. Looks a lot better. Maybe it just had to be fed? I've never met someone who had to lower their calc and alk... Could it be bc the tank is still new an not quite settled in yet? I should test the calc and alk for my ten gallon, I'm curious to see where it's at now since this tanks is so high.

0a6c7013.jpg

Perhaps trade one of the brains in the 10g out for this guy? that is if your cal and alk are fine in the little tank.

That's exactally what I planned to do if the brain doesn't improve. My other two brains in the ten gallon are doing wonderfully.

Back