brass fittings

Oscarsdad608

Reef enthusiast
I have a friend that is bringing his corals over tonight, because everything looks like crap. He just plumbed a new tank and he used a brass piece in his plumbing. I pretty much told him I thought that was the reason everything is looking very bad. He has two anemones that he said are shrunk up but are not slimmy. His fish are doing great though. Any thoughts?

I agree. You shouldn't use metal pieces anywhere that water is going to touch them. The copper in it would do nothing to the fish (which is why they're doing fine), but will kill his inverts.

That is what I said too. He is on his way to the hardware store. How many water changes will it take. I told him to do 10% a few times a week and get a copper test right away.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do if you've already introduced copper into the tank. Water changes won't save it... 10% isn't nearly enough, I'd say go up to 50% in this situation, but like I said, if there are metals already in there, your inverts are already on their way out.

I doubt that much was able to leach into the tank just from some fittings, but it only takes a little bit to kill inverts. The concern is it getting absorbed into the rocks and sand (which it does). That's why if copper has ever been introduced into a tank, you have to throw out all the rock and sand that was in the tank too, because the copper will stay in it and continue to poison the tank. You can do water changes all you want, but your rock and sand will continue to poison the tank.

Tank, Rock, Sand =

owned9wz.jpg

Back