Breeding Copepods

kevvin27

Reefing newb
I don't think this is the right topic for this thread but I didn't know where else to put it.

I want to buy some live copepods from the lfs but I want to breed them so I will always have a supply of them. I heard something about putting some in a jar with tank water and a bit of filter floss and then putting the filter floss into the tank after a certain amount of time but I am abit confused about the timeing of that. Does anyone have any good suggestions about breeding pods?

Thanks
Kevin.

If you have a refugium, you can place them in there with some cheato...if not, dump them in the tank, and they'll start multiplying automatically. The more rocks and microalgae in the tank, the better the chance of them thriving.

+1 smitty. You can also create a "pod pile" of rocks in the DT if you don't have a ruge. Just pile up some rubble and it will give the pods a place to hang out and breed where the fish can't eat them. They'll spread in your DT in no time. I'd add them a few hours after the lights go out that way they don't get gobbled up by hungry fish.

I'm looking for a link to another fish site where a guy made a breeding bag out of live rock rubble and a bag he made out of rain gutter cover material. He had a fuge and rotated them through the tank.

I tried growing them in the tank but the all got eaten.

Back