Brine Shrimp Info...

Marklyall87

Reefing newb
Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this so hope it's ok here, basically I want to start hatching brine shrimp to feed my fish on but haven't got a where to start, any info/help would be great. Thanks. Mark

Brine shrimp are sea monkeys, which you can find all over the place (but you don't want to pay the money for the sea monkey name). They are really easy to hatch! The easiest thing to do would be to go to Petsmart or Petco. They sell the brine shrimp eggs with instructions and everything. They also sell hatcheries for $20 bucks or so that include the setups needed to hatch them. If you don't want to buy a hatchery, you can accomplish the same thing using an empty soda bottle, an air pump and an air stone.

Like Biff said,they sell the whole kit or just the eggs at Petsmart.

Are you sure you want to raise live brine?They make lousy fishfood,very little to no nutritional value.

Yeah they are junk food, but it would be really hard to raise enough brine so that was the only thing you are feeding your tank. I feed live brine to my fish because it's fun to watch them actively hunt. They are not living off of the stuff, so a bag of potato chips here and there isn't going to kill them!

Back