bristleworm

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
so im doing my nightly look in my tank after the lights are out with a small flashlight, not sure why i do this, but its habit now

anyway i see something move so i move my light a little to one side so whatever it was will come back out

turns out it was a bristleworm, this thing had to be 10" long and as big around as a pencil

i dont think its anything to worry about, but i think its amazing that it has been in my tank this long and ive never seen it

i am getting ready to head to bed so i will check on replies tomorrow

i wont see my worms for weeks and then one night...boom...never fails to scare the crap out of me when i see a nasty worm crawling in my tank. they are nice cleaners though and you cant see them during the day!

check this guy out. someone posted this on a thread in the club im in.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23eylcc-WE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23eylcc-WE[/ame]

wow.. yea, i've definately not seen anything like that in my tank so far, but then again i'm also not bringing in a bunch of used LR, so i'm not gonna get the hitchhikers like some people will.

that was awesome
i wonder if i could lure mine out with a silverside
then again do really want him to develop a taste for fish?

i think i will leave it alone and just keep an eye on him

I pulled out a 14" long one from my last system when I tore it down. as long as it is not one of the fireworms you are probably ok, but, I would think that any bottom dweller would be at risk with a worm that large. a positive Id should be attempted and then decide what to do if anything. large worms like that one can cause damage to corals, but, may not bother anything, although if hungry may try a sample of whats available. good luck. great video, definitely a keeper for the archives.

I know everyone says they are benificial cleaners, but I pull them out whenever I see them. I have had bristle worms attack clams and corals on two occasions in my tanks, and I just don't take the chance any more. Here is a pic of one eating my xenia:
006-12.jpg

007-10.jpg

they are hard to catch, and if you to catch them you will prolly break them in half since they go into the rock and cling on. also, DO NOT touch them with your bare hands unless you want a whole bunch of splinters that feel like glass shards in your hand.

The easy way to catch em.Is to put some food in a nylon stocking and sink it in the tank.The worms bristles will get tangled in the nylon and hold them for you to remove.

The easy way to catch em.Is to put some food in a nylon stocking and sink it in the tank.The worms bristles will get tangled in the nylon and hold them for you to remove.

thats an awesome idea yote i may try it just to see if i can catch him

they are hard to catch, and if you to catch them you will prolly break them in half since they go into the rock and cling on. also, DO NOT touch them with your bare hands unless you want a whole bunch of splinters that feel like glass shards in your hand.

ewww those IMO are nasty as HELL!! I got bristled by one a couple months ago while cleaning my sisters tank and man did it HURT!!! I ahve a nice scar on my arm from it as well... I know people say they are good.. but i get rid of them as soon as i see em....

Back