Brittle star

reefpanda

Reefing newb
so i was wondering if these sea stars are good for the aquarium

cause i just restarted my bio-cube(for those of you that remember me blabing on about it)

and i dont want anything to go super wrong
cause i want to start adding corals either this weekend or next week

and i've heard that some of these sea stars can eat poylps and corals ETC

so please just let me known if i should remove it or leave it in

What color is this brittle star?
If its the green ones,take it out.Their a known predator of fish and are fairly skilled at catching them.

Brittle stars are some of the best starfish you can have for your tank. Except for the green ones. Stick with brown brittle stars. Serpent stars are also excellent. Serpent and brittle stars are really the only kinds of starfish I recommend. Except the green ones!

Green Brittle :

GrnBritStarLG.jpg

Omg!! I think I know what happened to my six line! I have a green serpent star, approx 12-15 inches long. I was wondering what happened to my six line last week when I placed everything back in the tank from my bin. (everything was in a bin for 6 days as there was a leak in my tank) I never found a dead fish, or a live fish. I specifically remember placing my six line in the bin! I know for a fact it was there! My green serpent probably ate my sixline!!! What a piss off!!! I didn't know green serpent stars could eat fish!! Lesson learned. I love my green star as it eats a lot of garbage... But cmon! I bought this six line like 2 weeks before the leak in my tank happened! I loved it!! Oh... I'm mad at the star now....

Yeah. The green serpent stars are commonly referred to as "green death" stars because they are known to catch and eat fish. Yours is huge too! Sorry to hear about your loss. But I think you figured out exactly what happened. At least now you know and you can catch the star, and trade it in for a safer one! Any serpent and brittle stars but the green serpent/brittle ones are safe.

Yeah! Thanx biff! I really didn't know the green stars could eat fish. I thought serpent star were safe. I remember seeing my star in the bin. And the middle part of the star looked like a pyramid. I even told my bf to look at it cause it looked so weird. It looked like it was going to explode. I clearly did not have a clue that green stars are evil. Lmao... I better catch it and trade it for something else... That's too bad that I lost my pretty six line! Regular serpent are just not as pretty as the green serpent... =(

Last edited:
What about the ruby brittle stars? I don't know too much about them, but I see them at the shops here in FLA every once in a while. Also, we get "albino" brittles (yellow or orange) every once in a while.

http://photovalet.com/data/comps/AAO/AAOV01P03_12.1707.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jvsM6klry...AAA1E/zVluslzqV5Q/s400/Yellow_Brittlestar.jpg

Buy one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Brittle-Sta...1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Love the stars!!! Never see these around here... I will keep an eye opened. Are these fish eaters? LOL!

I really got to get rid of the green star. I even noticed it last night stealing food from my anemone...

Back