brown stuff on rock

chemjoey

Reefing newb
hey guys i have this brown crusted stuff on one of my pices of LR. it feels hard and like u can peel it off. Is this dead stuff that I need to peel off or let it stay?

Attachments

• S4020853.jpg
    S4020853.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 804
Im assuming this is cyano since you say it peels off even though it looks more brown than cyano usually is. Im not sure...

How long has your tank been setup? Cyano usually comes after brown & green algae.

Its normal for a new tank to go thru a lot of algae. All you can really do is wait it out. To speed up the process, you can add phosphate remover, do more water changes and physically remove as much of the algae as you can. Also using RO water is recommended over tap.

The picture is a bit small.It looks like a heavy coating of diatoms on top of something else....dead sponge or something else.There's no harm in removing the rock and scrubbing it off in a bucket of saltwater.

well the tank has been set up for a week now. it was on the rock when i first got it and im not for sure but i will remove it tommarow and get as much off as possible. BTW can i put Phosban in my midea filter in my filter? if so how much?

Phosban will be fine and will help cut back on algae.

Whatever that brown stuff is, you can use a toothbrush to get it off easily.

Back