Bruise on foxface?

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Oh man, PLEASE tell me this is a bruise and not some sort of disease :shock: It was not there yesterday at all (and I inspect the fish all the time). If it's a bruise, what could make that kind of mark? I only have smaller fish, and the only bully is the diamond watchman goby.

smfoxface_mark.jpg

smfoxface_mark2.jpg

very hard to tell from the pics...I thought you had a nice slr now?

I do but hubby took it to work (it's really HIS toy LOL). This was with my point and shoot.

The discoloration is flat, not raised, and it literally popped up out of nowhere, but its shaped rather round. He's not acting any different -- grazing, swimming, no odd breathing. It literally looks like a stain or a scrape

The only thing that could've stung him are the ball anemones...I have a bunch of them, especially in the rock he likes to hid in. I guess I'll just monitor it.

If you could take a blurrier picture I could probably tell you.:D

It's probably not a bruise. You'll find that they can turn there cammo on a little or alot depending on their stress level...It's probably that. Mine will turn on a bit of brown near his fin and leave it like that for hours at a time. I used to think he was dying every 5 minutes.

Now I know, that's just him..that damn cammo can be a curse sometimes. Because you're sitting there wondering "Why would he be stressed? should I do a water change? let me get my test kits. ARGHHHHH!" And then you realize they're just spooked easily and that's how they roll.

Those cammo sposts can look alot like a bruise, and when they don't have any other spots turned on, you'd definitely think it's a bruise r a scrape.

Last edited:
Yeah their cammo is definately a PITA. I knew about his color changing (when I first put him in he was all black and white and splotchy, but I knew it was normal). They sometimes he is like a faded yellow, but later in the day, he's a vibrant yellow. This doesn't look like his normal camo though....but then again, who knows. It's just weird cuz right now, he's eating, and he's got vibrant colors...but that weird bruise thing is still there, same shape. But he's otherwise normal, so I have no plans on doing anything different. But he is my favorite fish in my tank so naturally I get worried.

One thing I've found about these guys is that they're much more durable than they look...As much as they get stressed out, especially when doing water changes, or adding new fish, you'd think they'd have ich all the time...but they don't. They're just big ol' sissy's. Just wait until he gets used to you putting the algae sheets in the tank, he'll come and nibble it while you're trying to attach it to the clip.

Ball anemones can give fish a pretty decent sting.

And like PRC said,wait until that foxface starts nibblin your arm while your trying to get those algae sheets in there.:D Thats when it gets fun.

So just let it heal itself right? It would make sense that it was the ball nem cuz they're round like his mark. I saw a faint red streak from the mark going to his tail, along what would be his spine. Is that normal? Just some soreness?

So previously, I did not bother with the nems. Should I eradicate them?

Yeah,Just watch him and leave him alone.
99.9% of the time,the fish will be just fin and will heal on its own.
I wouldnt worry about the nems either.Your fish will normally stay outta their reach.Plus ball anemones dont have enough stink to kill a fish like a foxface.Tiny gobies,maybe.But not a bigger fish like yours.

Back