bta

yea im also confused about the question. If you are asking about a BTA, both of the choices you gave dont apply. You need a mature tank with "prefect" lifting...having only one or the other wont do...nems are a special case and do need the right conditions...totally not worth the risk if your tank isnt ready because once an anem dies everything else in your tank will die with it...

I don't recommend anemones for a reef tank period.
Anemones wont survive either of the conditions you posted.

Sorry, I should have elaborated. Maybe some might remember my LFS is babysitting my clownfish because they were causing problems with the new fish i introduced into my tank. Anyway, they are keeping the in their anemone tank to keep the separate from the clowns that are for sale.

My new 120g tank is being installed next Tuesday (woot!). After it cycles, Im planning on transferring everything from my biocube. Then I'll keep my clownfish in the biocube until it's time to introduce them into the 120 (after other fish their size to reduce territorial issues).

Anyway, after seeing them so happy in bta tank, I wanted to get them one. I was just wondering about timing, and whether or not my biocube could keep an anemone until my new tank matures. I think it's best to wait until the 120 matures enough to support an anemone.

Sorry about the stupid question. They just look so darn happy in all those anemones at the LFS. I just got a little over-zealous! :D

Instead of getting an anemone (which is bad news in your situation, sorry to say), get something else that the clown will host. They don't NEED an anemone, and will happily host other things that are easier to take care of. Clowns are not as sophisticated as you seem to think. ;) The don't have this longing and yearning for an anemone... Clowns will host anything. Some will host powerheads or heaters. Some will host other fish. And a lot of times, if you add an anemone they will ignore it completely and never host it.

My clowns love their hairy mushrooms. Those are easy to keep corals, and don't require a ton of lighting. Instead of a nem, get something for your clown that doesn't have a high likelihood of dying and killing everything in your tank.

0282-1.jpg

011.jpg

Good point Biff! Thanks!

I actually already have a hairy mushroom. My male clown did show interest in it before they got banished to the LFS. I think I'll leave it in the biocube for them after everything else goes into the 120.

Some day I will get them a nem. Patience... thats one thing I love about this hobby. Waiting for something and looking forward to it makes it so much more rewarding in the end. :D

Is it bad to add an anemone into a newly established tank? I have a 120 gallon that we set up in August and it cycled a couple weeks ago and since then we have added a Condy and a Bubble Tip. Both of which are still moving around the tank but seem to be doing fine. I've never have nems before so any info would be appreciated. :)

It's a bad idea. If they are moving, they are not happy. Anemones should stay put. If they are wandering, they are looking for something they are not getting. Anemones are some of the more difficult animals to keep in this hobby. Although your tank size is good for them, they usually do not live long in tanks that have been set up for less than a year. They also require very high lighting -- more than most corals. Do you have the proper lighting for them?

I currently have t5's with 50/50 bulbs, and 2 175w 14k MH's, however the MH's are only on for 4 hours a day. And today the BTA about an hour after feeding started releasing this pinkish material from it's mouth, deflated, and had a gaping hole in the middle and about half hour later looked perfectly fine again. After some quick researched it seemed to be normal after eating so at least I know he is eating. And the condy seems to have settled in the corner on the glass but haven't noticed any signs of him eating.

Yes, that sounds like it's pooping. Anemones tend to do that after they eat, then they'll stay deflated afterwards for about a day or so. How many T5 bulbs do you have? It sounds like you may be on the low end as far as lighting goes.

We have 4 t5's. The tank is REALLY bright, especially when the halides are on, but I'm not really familiar with the lighting requirements for everything. I have been trying to do a bunch of research but everyone had different opinions about it. LOL!

You've got plenty of light for the anemones.But you do need to work your halides on up to 8 hours a day.Just add 30 minutes every couple of days until you get the 8 hours.Then run the T-5s for 10 to 12 hours.

Thank you for the information. My fiancee was only going to turn the halides on for 4 hours to create a mid-day/high sun effect for the fish but if it is better to leave them on for longer periods then we will. And today my bubble tip anemone has again moved about a foot across the tank. He looks perfectly healthy though today. :)

Back