Bubble Annenome

Rigo,

you are a studd. You have a link for everything. Here is one for you...do you have any info about the mating habits of one-legged, hermaphroditic, cross-eyed, marsupials; transplanted to the Isle of Malta? :bounce:

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Yeah I'm a scientist. I have to write scientific stuff. But it recently came to my attention that there was a very important piece of literature missing from the annals (that's annals with TWO N's) of animal behavior literature... How could this be, such a vital chapter in the book of mammalogy (that's mammalogy, not mammaries) missing? And what, you may ask, is this knowledge gap that I am speaking of? Well, straight out of the mouth of the genius Dr. Marco: the mating habits of one-legged, hermaphroditic, cross-eyed, marsupials; transplanted to the Isle of Malta. Yep, that is a topic that no one has yet studied. So I figured it was my duty, my obligation, as a purveyor of reason, of fact and of data to enlighten you all on this neer-studied topic.

Shall we begin?

Malta is a small island nation located in the Mediterranean Sea just south of Sicily, Italy. Seven small islands comprise the Maltese archipelago. In the 1400s, the Virginia opossum, the only extant marsupial found in North America, managed to hop aboard Italian ships as stowaways and found their way back to Europe. A small population of the ancestors of these ancient opossums can still be found on the Isle of Malta.

Because the original number of stowaways was so small, an unfortunate amount of inbreeding between these opossums took place. Due to a point mutation of Gene 485B-38AE on Chromosome 14, all descendents of the original opposums were doomed to one-leggedness. As all organisms are foced to now and then, these one-legged marsupials were able to adapt to their environment in spite of their odd looking disability, using their tail as a make-shift second leg for balance and motion.

Now, marsupials are extra special in that males have a two-pronged penis and females have two vaginas. Because two sexual organs were already present in each individual, it was not a leap for this isolated population to evolve into hermaphrodites. Although this strategy has pluses (e.g. the opposite sex is not necessary for procreation, higher reproductive rates) it also has minuses (e.g. fewer gene combinations, less ability to adapt to a changing environment), the marsupials eventually became a population consisting entirely of hermaphrodites.

One unfortunate consequence of the gender bending that took place was mass confusion among the marsupials. Generations of animals staring, dumbfounded, at their own deformed genitals lead to widespread cases of cross-eyed-ness. It turns out that cross-eyed-ness is a dominant trait. Once it's in the gene pool, it ain't comin' out anytime soon!

Hence the evolution of the one-legged, hermaphroditic, cross-eyed, marsupials; transplanted to the Isle of Malta.

As of yet, their mating habits have not been studied extensively. This is my next task: To travel to the Isle of Malta and witness, first-hand, how these remarkable creatures manage to procreate. I leave for Malta tomorrow at 5 am sharp. Wish me luck on my journey!

"one-legged, hermaphroditic, cross-eyed, marsupials; transplanted to the Isle of Malta" found with TWO LEGS!!!
opossum.JPG

If your tank is only two weeks old it is no were near established enough to keep any anemone. They need a well establishded tank, high watt lighting, and near perfect water to thrive

indeed - just did a quick search on 'Opossum pictures' with the intent of doctoring one of the pictures to make them one-legged, x-eyed, etc... and up popped this :-)

omg! biff, you and redline need to write stories for a living. with his hermit crab and c.b.s. story, and you opposum story. my side is still hurting from laughter!

Well,Joe's possum picture was enough to cause me to release the ones I had in the corn crib.I just cant bring myself to cook something thats that cross eyed.

holy :pooh: Biff, you crack me up. I am amazed by your attention to detail and the ease in which you satisfied my bizarre post. I know I should have gone with myopic instead of cross-eyed.

Joe, that picture is a classic and will be saved to my computer for further use. Great find.

Yote, quit eating oppossums, they are best served as lovers, not food.

Damn, I needed that post, Biff. I had a crappy day and that story just about made me piss myself, in fact, I did dribble a bit. Got to go change the panties.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back