Bubble Magus 6

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. I just bought a new skimmer today, as I realized my old one wasnt working properly and then I broke it trying to mod. it.

System has been running for awhile with no skimmer, so I bite the bullet today and bought a Bubble Magnus NAC6. It was more than I was wanting to spend, but I justified it with the hopes of it doing a great job.

I believe I will be happy with this in my 65 gallon (15 Gallon Sump), but I am wondering if this skimmer is possibly too powerful for my tank. It is releasing a lot of little bubbles that are being sent through my return pump and into my display tank. Looks terrible. What can I do?

My nac7 produced some super crazy micro bubbled when I first started running it. They have gone down quite a since then but there are still quite a few. It's a very open design. Not nearly as tight as the reef octopus I have in my 110. so a lot of water and micro bubbles are being released through the bottom and other places. The skimmer does skim nicely though.

Do you have a bubble trap? I have one in my sump but I don't know how much it helps. The reason I don't have any problems is because by the time it gets to the other side of the sump the bubbles are pretty much dissolved. And then I have a prefilter on my pump which also seems to help.

What do you mean by a bubble trap? I am still pretty new to all of this. I have my sump set up so water flows off of the skimmer section and into the refugium. The water then passes through some baffles and into the return area. I temporarily cut up some old sponges from some really cheap powerheads I am no longer using. I cut them up and placed them between the baffles in hopes to trap so bubbles. Things do seem to have calmed down a lot with the bubbles though.

I guess it does have to be broken in first. Happy it seems to have broken in quickly.

The baffles usually act as a bubble trap -- if there is open space at the bottom of one of them, the water flows through, but because air rises, the air bubbles cannot travel to the next compartment.

There is some decent info on Mel's reef.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

"A bubble trap is a narrow section within the sump that is made up of three baffles. The center one is higher than the two outer ones. The bubble trap should be located after the area that contains the most bubbles. Normally, that would be where the water enters the sump and your protein skimmer is located. Microbubbles abound in this zone, so the bubble trap would be set up next, to prevent these from continuing through to the refugium and/or return section. If you have a refugium next, you'll need one more baffle between the refugium and the return section. All four baffles should be the same height in this setup. "

Back