Bubble tip and pepermint shrimp

kevvin27

Reefing newb
I just got a green bubble tip anemone tonight and it's been in the tank for a bout 2 hours. It was looking good until my pepermint shrimp just came up and started picking at the bubbles. This made it start to shrivle up and it didn't look like a good thing at all. Would the shrimp have been cleaning it or what?

It's possible. My shrimp always give anything new a good cleaning.

But the more important thing is... how old is your tank?
What are you water parameters?

The tank is a bit over a year old now. The calcium is a little low but everything else with the acception of ph is good.
ph - 7.9 - 8.0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
ammonia - 0
phosphate - 0

I don't know what the pep shrimp was doing, but I doubt it can do the nem any harm. Maybe just keep an eye on it? I think he will leave it alone after he gets bored of it. Where are pics??? :D

Here's a couple pics of it right now. The mouth is open about a quarter the size of a penny.

Attachments

• SAM_0527.jpg
    SAM_0527.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 281
  • SAM_0526.jpg
    SAM_0526.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 283
The shrimp just picked at the bta again and it totally closed up and now it looks like it's spitting out everything it ate about 5 hours ago. I did my best to research it before I got it but I didn't find anything about this. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? Do I need to be concerned?

Attachments

• SAM_0553.JPG
    SAM_0553.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 272
its normal one every day or 2 for them to close up and expell waste or poop shrimp might be going after that

it was open until the shrimp started picking at it. now it's all closed up. It looks exactly the same as the food I gave it earlier today. Sorry about the picture quality on that last one.

my cleaner shrimp will go at mine if i don't give it a piece of silverside first. Heck its a greedy bugger and will take any decent chunks from multiple coral. Lesson learned treat him first lol.

its a Peppermint shrimp! they eat anemones lol, if its bold enough to go after one that big ITS HUNGRY! give it a bit of shrimp

Back