building a sump

madhattertcm

Reefing newb
I've studied a lot of designs, and I've got a good understanding of what I need to do. However, I do have a few questions.

1. I don't have holes, nor want to drill them. What's the piece called that I can get for over the top drain?

2. On a budget, and am looking for a skimmer. At the moment, I don't want to spend more than say $75 new or used... Is a cheap skimmer better than no skimmer at all? Recommendations for starters?

1. Overflow box.
2. I would say save your money rather than waste it on a cheap skimmer. Any new skimmer in that price range isn't worth the $75; you are better off saving up until you can afford a good one. You may be able to find a decent used one for that price, however. Keep your eyes open on Craigs List and places like that.

Check in the DIY section for overflow designs. Built mine for $32 from the plumbing section at lowes. The biggest cost is going to be the return pump.

Do you have a Harbor Freight Tools near you? We have them here in the Midwest but I don't know if they are anywhere else or if they have a website. It is essentially an off brand hardware store. They sell pond pumps for super cheap and they get excellent reviews. I'm sure you could find one that would work for your sump and it would let you save some more money for a skimmer. A skimmer is one piece of equipment you don't want to skimp on.

Back