Bummed out about copepods..

avery155

Reefing newb
So went to one of my LFS on my way home from work to pick up a bottle of copepods. I asked if they had any new bottles because the two bottles they had didn't look too good. The owner said they just don't move when they are cold. They were all clumped up together and he shook it up and there was like a slime over everyone of them. He said once they get warm they will start swimming. Well I let them warm up and only seen one swimming, I dumped them in the refugium and they are still clumped together. So pretty much I spend $20 on a dead bottle of copepods I believe.

Tomorrow I will be going to my other LFS and getting a bottle, Last week they had a few bottles and I could see them swimming around.

To make things worse I think two of my 3 nass snails are dead. Only one got up and moved around when I fed my clowns some frozen shrimp. I think it may be due to them trying to keep escaping when I was drip acclimating them, so they went into shock, and finally kicked the bucket. The one hasn't moved in days, and the other just didn't move today. I will see what happens tomorrow morning. If so I guess I will be getting a few more nass snails tomorrow as well. And just poking a small hole in the bag to drip them that way they cant try to escape.

Oh and all my params seem to be in check. I didn't check calcium and such today though, just the basics.
//End of rant :dunno:

Well my one snail woke up is out and about, so now I am back to just watching one. I picked it up and it tried to close up really slowly, I put him back in the tank and he is on his side and hasn't flipped over yet.

I am sorry to hear that! That really stinks! Can you take out the clump of copepods and take it back to the store? If they said they would be fine and they aren't they should take them back!

+1 Leslee
Take them back and confront the person who sold them to you. I bet you get credit for them if nothing else. Good luck.

When the store opens up I will try to give them a call. I didn't look to see if they where still there but I know there looked like some hitchikers on my rock were eating them up last night. My luck this falls under the no saltwater warranty. I will call them in about 15 minutes and let everyoe know.

Well at least I'm not the only one I guess. On a good note I called the lfs and they said bring the reciept in and they will refund my money. So that makes me happy. They said it happens because kids shut the lids sometimes and they end up suffocating.

+1 leslee..sound's like yer LFS is full of BS and I would let them know that..out of all the thing's I've learned from living reefs the 1 thing that stands out most is that ALL LFS'S are a buisness 1st and your friend 2nd.I'm on a first name basis with the owner that own's all 3 of my LF'S + his wife and all the staff and I still come here to get outside opinion's.. by the way I've never acclimated my CUC..:Buds:

Well I went and got a new bottle of copepods! They all are so lively and are swimming around like crazy in my fuge. The LFS recommended some phytoplankton to dose to feed them once a week or so and they said that some of my corals will eat that as well. They said next time I stop by to pick some of that up. I am going to wait until I get my chaeto from Biff (Which should be here tomorrow I think :) ) before I get that to feed them. They said they will be fine for a while without it. My nass snail apparently is still alive. I took him out of the water and he tried to go back in his shell, I don't know what to do with him. So I put him back in the tank.... I don't want to kill him if he has a chance of getting better.

I have tons of pods including some quarter inch amphipods. Put a small amount of primo, fully cured rock in your tank and the pods will multiply fast. By "primo" I mean rock that is full of living things. Some LR has been taken out of the water for too long and all they pods and other living things just die. Tampa Bay salt water ships primo LR in water. Its outstanding rock. Some people have even found a little octopus in their LR.

For what its worth.
Dont waste your money on those bottled pods.
If you've got decent live rock,you've got plenty of the lil bugs to get things going.

Back