Buying used MH's, need advice.

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
My LFS has some lights for sale. They're coralife, 250watt MH's. The lights are the type that you hang from your ceiling. The owner told me that they would probably need new bulbs. Asking $99. Good deal? There are 4 to choose from so I can pick and choose the better one.

What do you think?

So it's a good deal? Damnit..and I just got home, lol.

How long are ballasts good for? I have no idea how long the lights had been running.

Well, ran back to the store and they had all sold...

NOT, lol. So I'm very excited! Can't wait to pass the 6 month period and start getting some coral! Where's a good place to order a bulb?

SU1HMDAyMTcuanBn.jpg

Thanks Biff. Isn't it shiny? :P

I know I should have used that money for a skimmer..But it looks like that'll have to wait another week or two. Thank god for overtime.

SU1HMDAyMTguanBn.jpg

Be sure to holler at Nathan and get either a 14K (my favorite) or 20K bulb.:D
Then you wont have to worry about actinics.

Thanks Yote, my next question was going to be what bulb to buy. Will it matter between the two? Max depth is 32".

Another question Yote if you get a chance. We were talking about too much flow in another post and I mentioned that I have sand storms. I'm still getting a lot of sand kicked up into the tank..it's really noticable with a real light on it. I'm imagining that it'll just get better over time as the lighter particles get worked out. Do I need to do anything or just let it work itself out?

Try pointing your power heads up toward the surface more.
It should have already leveled off some.But since it hadnt,try adjusting the flow around some.

For my halides I have used hellolights.com. Another place that seems to have good prices is reefwarehouse.com

What are you wanting to keep? If softys and LPS then you can use a cheap ebay bulb, if SPS clams or nems then I would get a good par bulb. I used the cheap ones for SPS and nems and it worked great, but you'll get more par out of a good name brand bulb.

Yea, you need to place the powerhead lower in the tank and pointing upward.

Even trying that there are problems. If it's at the bottom and I point it straight up I have to keep the water level 1" below normal otherwise it blows water out of the tank(sucks, but it looks cool). If I turn it even a small amount to noe of the sides the vaccuum from the damn pump causes little whirlwinds..when they get sucked into the pump I get a lot of little particles in the display. Going to mess with it more today, see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to save up so I can order a bulb and a new skimmer at the same time. I think I do want to keep a clam eventually. But I'm not sure about any of the harder to care for corals. I don't want too much to have to worry about.

Hmm.. I have a K2 (600 gph) in a 10g tank pointing in the narrow side straight across pointing very slightly upward and doesn't have too much problem. Can you mount it like 10" below waterline pointing straight across and point is slightly upward?

Back