buying used tanks

If I see an amazing deal on craigslist for a bigger tank, should I be concerned with how old the tank and/or stand is? An acrylic 125 I might go look at has been used since 1995. do they get weaker with time or if it's in good shape it's okay? also if I see no cracks or anything with an acrylic tank is it safe to assume it doesn't leak?

Yeah, he says it has two scratches that are visible when algae builds up. But otherwise structurally they should hold up? I know a lot of people avoid acrylic because of scratching but I really like the idea of it being 20 times stronger than glass. Guess I'm a little paranoid...that's a lot of water, I'm in an earthquake zone, have nice hardwood floors, I'd rather be safe than sorry and be really careful about scratching.

Im just going to bet that looking at that tank with its scratches will drive you bananas after awhile, but its your house and your choice.

Do you think that's something I can tell by looking at it, or would I just have to try buffing it and see if it's shallow enough?

It is something you can tell by feel. Also, you tend to see crazing with acrylic tanks as they age. I too live in the "earthquake zone" and would rather have glass than acrylic tanks.

Get what you like in a tank. But remember, on a properly finished hardwood floor the water should puddle which is easy to clean as opposed to carpet.

It is something you can tell by feel. Also, you tend to see crazing with acrylic tanks as they age. I too live in the "earthquake zone" and would rather have glass than acrylic tanks.

Get what you like in a tank. But remember, on a properly finished hardwood floor the water should puddle which is easy to clean as opposed to carpet.

I'm worried not only about earthquakes, but I live in a San Francisco row house (for others reading, means you share the two side walls with the houses next to you). So I worry if the tank would crack and all that water would go into someone else's house too through the wall :shock:

Sounds like everyone here likes glass better, and I trust that advice (helped me a lot so far). Maybe I'll fasten the rocks together, so at least I'm not worried about a rock slide breaking the glass. So what should I look for in buying used glass tanks, to make sure they are in good shape? Kinda makes me nervous to buy it used, like I might sleep better at night to just buy a new one. I can get a used stand and a glass tank's not that expensive.

Fstrd is right you can tell alot by feel, but you can also kinda tell by sight if its a gouge. I bought my 180 gal acrylic used it had a few scratches, all of them looked better after buffing except one deeper one. As far as the difference between acrylic & glass in earthquakes I don't know, we don't have to many here in the northwest.

I wouldn't use an acrylic tank for saltwater either. Just the sand and rocks can do a real number on it. I think if the person is telling you that one that old only has a couple scratches, he is not being completely honest.

I just found a 125gal for $350 with a solid oak stand but no hood, and the only equipment is an older light. Is this a good deal? He used it for freshwater and said there are no noticeable scratches.

i like glass less prone to scratches - i also would reseal any used tank you got that was over 8 years old - youtube has a few viedos on it and very easy to do - i resealed my 90 and its perfect also resealing my 55 in the next few days wich i can take pics of and post up in the diy section - but the viedos on utube are just as good if not better - for earth quakes id be sure my stand would hold - lets say over build it just in case - i duno just my .02 pennys

Sounds like everyone here likes glass better, and I trust that advice (helped me a lot so far). Maybe I'll fasten the rocks together, so at least I'm not worried about a rock slide breaking the glass. So what should I look for in buying used glass tanks, to make sure they are in good shape? Kinda makes me nervous to buy it used, like I might sleep better at night to just buy a new one. I can get a used stand and a glass tank's not that expensive.

You can use the long zip ties to tie them together, my friend did that out in Livermore. Just use the black ones and they will hardly even be seen.

On a side note, I know someone selling a 90 gallon complete (Tank, Stand, Outer Orbit MH light, Sump, Skimmer, etc) for about 400-500 if you are interested.

You can use the long zip ties to tie them together, my friend did that out in Livermore. Just use the black ones and they will hardly even be seen.

On a side note, I know someone selling a 90 gallon complete (Tank, Stand, Outer Orbit MH light, Sump, Skimmer, etc) for about 400-500 if you are interested.

Thanks for the tip, but I really want a 125gal, for the length. And added width of course. It is so hard to make a good rockscape with the 12 inch width of the 55 gal I have.

Back